1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First-class stamps rising to 76p and second-class to 65p

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

If you plan on posting a lot of birthday/Christmas cards this year then buying a few books of stamps before the price hike on 23rd March might be a good idea.

The Royal Mail is increasing the cost of postage, with first-class stamps rising 6p to 76p and second-class up 4p to 65p.

Guy Anker, deputy editor of Moneysavingexpert.com said:

"As stamps just say 1st or 2nd on them (Or 1st or 2nd large for the bigger ones) if you buy them now they are valid in perpetuity after.

"So while it's only pennies, if you're going to send even a big batch of Christmas cards, you may as well stock up now."

Or as Corporal Jones would have said...

32AB872E-E6D0-4130-B0B5-4CC065F1EA9D.png

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stamps? Stamps?

What's that young man*? Stamps? Why I remember them! Ah yes fanglily sticky things for the postings... yes, back in the old days when all right and propa with the world.

Cor, dem were the days and no mistaking.

* my apologies if I have misgendered you.

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I very rarely post letters these days. Maybe the odd birthday card and I only posted two cards at Christmas! I sound like a right old miser but so many people now don't send Christmas cards (claiming they give the equivalent money to charity....) and so I hand any out - usually to family, friends and neighbours. All bills, etc are dealt with online, so I won't be buying any stamps.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Thank you Jamvic-a useful tip. I do still send birthday cards and some Christmas cards, so I will stock up.

needabreak, agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D I was a secondary school teacher for many years. Believe me there is nothing you could address me as that would remotely bother or shock me.

As to the stamps. I’m afraid I’m really set in my ways when it comes to saving money, even on such a small scale.

I was taught by my mum...’look after the pennies & the pounds will look after themselves’ along with the more prosaic... ‘It’s better in your pocket than theirs’ from my dad. I have passed this ‘elder’ wisdom on to my sons and they have turned out to be just as frugal & savings oriented as I am.

Knowing I post out at least 30+ birthday cards a year and Christmas cards it was my youngest son that alerted me to the stamp price increase news in my OP.

He knows me so well :). I’ll be buying at least two years worth of stamp books to add to the 6 months worth of expensive dog food (bought when a ‘buy one can get one half price’ offer was briefly available).

Can’t change the habits of a lifetime now I’m afraid.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You can't be too careful these days.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

The chief of the Post Office was on the radio a year ago. He said always send letters second class, they get there just as fast.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

If that’s the case they may as well not bother having 1st & 2nd class then.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

One of the birthday cards I sent was to my daughter last week. I posted it 2nd class on the Friday (allowing plenty of time to reach her for her birthday on Wednesday) and she received it the next day!

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not necessarily...

We have first and second class rail travel... everyone gets there at the same time... but not in similar comfort.

So first class mail gets a cushioned surface to fall onto in the post box. It's stored in a container with classical music piped in. It's handled by staff with silk gloves on and perfumed air is wafted over it. Each is also given an antibacterial spray to ensure cleanliness.

Second class is not given this sort of treatment.

I might not be being entirely serious here.

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes I've stocked up on mine already. It's a big increase for first class. I do actually still write letters. Yes honest I do!

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Random trivia moment:

Price of stamps through the years.
    (Couldn’t find a list that went any further back).

33D3554C-F21B-4597-B88B-F6DFE46E9910.jpeg
    Wonder what instigated the relatively big increase 2012. Was that year particularly difficult for Royal Mail?

agathamorse and sparklepig2002 like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Putting those numbers into an inflation calculator and the 1980 price is the equivalent of 60p... so a real terms 17% price increase.

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  15. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

I thought the Post Office and Royal Mail are two separate companies?

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You are of course correct!

:oops:

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  17. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Well the new 2nd class is nearly as much as the old 1st class after this latest rise.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Cor that's 15/3 to post a letter. I remember when it was 4d for a letter. N.B. For you youngsters out there, there was only 1 level of post. No first and second class. You also got a second post as well somedays

nomad, Kandahar, Jamvic and 1 other person like this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

"I knew my marriage was in trouble that night I had a heart attack, the missus used a 2nd class stamp when she wrote for an ambulance!"

lanokia, nomad and Jamvic like this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

What year was that out of interest. I can remember everyone moaning about the switch to decimal being used to introduce massive price increases.