1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First class degree/ 2:1 and getting a job

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 27, 2011.

1. Can I ask please, when it comes to looking for a job, would you say it makes much of a difference whether you have a 2:1 or a first class degree? Does having a first class degree give you much of an advantage over other applicants? Are you more likely (on average) to get an interview than someone with a 2:1? I know there's more to it than that when it comes to choosing people to be interviewed. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm a final year trainee teacher. I got a lot of high marks last year (in the 70s) but this year I've only got marks in the 60's. I haven't been able to give the course my absolute all this year because of my health condition. My health really has been bad and even though the university have been understanding, it's going to make my average fall. I have university finals next week. I've been trying so hard to revise but my health is still poor so it's a battle, but I'm not someone who gives up and will keep at it. I think ultimately I'll be getting a 2:1 thanks to a few assignment marks in the 60's this year. I do feel a bit gutted because I've been working flat out and harder than most on my course for the last three years. It feels like I'm falling at the last hurdle. Am I any less likely to get a job with a 2:1 than a first? I know having a first doesn't mean that you're a good teacher. I just really wanted a first more than anything and feel a bit down. Back to revision for me.

2. ..and I'm not saying that there's anthing wrong with a 2:1. That's not what I mean. When I started university, I was not a first class student. I was getting marks in the low 60's but by working harder than I'd worked in my life, I pulled my marks right up and started getting marks in the 70's. I just feel like all of my effort last year will go to waste because my average will be falling this year. I can't imagine me getting higher than 2:1's next week when I'm feeling so unwell. I just feel really disappointed. To get a first now that my average is lower, I'd need like 80 in both of my exams last week. I've got marks in the late 70's before but never the 80's so I don't see that happening.

3. *anything. Please excuse any spelling and grammar mistakes. I can spell and punctuate properly normally. I'm just pushed for time at the moment, revising and feeling very unwell. I feel very anxious about next week and thought someone on here could help.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Makes no difference at all, unless you want a job in a top public or prep school. And even there, not necessarily.

I wouldn't know what class of degree my colleagues have, but I'd be surprised if many have firsts. And on shortlisting and interview panels I've been on, we have never ever looked at degree class to make a judgement.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Meant to add, good luck next week!

6. karentee

karentee New commenter

I agree, I really don't think it matters, at least I have never taken it into account when shortlisting or on an interview panel, personal statements, experience and references are far more relevant

7. I have a 2:2 but i got a job, i think its your teaching that makes the biggest impression

8. I also have a 'Desmond' (2:2) and got a job within the first year.
    I did in that year have one incident where a head said to me, when showing me around his school on a pre application visit, "One of your friends from your teaching uni is coming to look around later, she got a first didn't she?"
    I wasn't shortlisted and she got the job.

9. I applied for my teaching job before I finished my degree, didn't even put what I was predicted to get in my job application, I was interviewed without being asked about it, and then offered the job without being asked. Been working there for a year now and no one has ever asked me what degree classification I got! I assume that the uni let them know at some point, but it really wasn't a big concern for the school, they were more interested in my teaching experience and how I came across at interview and in my observed lesson (I got a 2:1 though btw)

10. Surely they have copies of your qualifications?

11. I think I gave the school a copy of my degree certificate but I only received this is September when I had already been working at the school for a couple of weeks. My degree classifiction was only confirmed in August (the month before I started) and I got offered the job in May, so I got offered the job before I even knew what level of degree I had. So it didnt make a difference to me when applying for my job.

12. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I have a 2:2. It didn't even occur to me to be worried when applying. I've been at my school 2 years and no-one's ever asked.

13. Thanks for the replies. I wasn't implying that it will be harder to get a job if you have a 2:2 or a 2:1. I haven't started applying for jobs yet and was just wondering if having a first will give you an advantage over someone with a 2:1. I'll just have to see and will hope that someone will want me. A lot of people on my course have a job for September so I wish I'd applied earlier, but I thought I'd get myself in good health first. That might be a while though and I'm still capable of teaching. I'm on placement at the moment.

14. A lot depends on whether you will fit in with the exisiting staff as well as your teaching placement experience. Getting a teaching job isn't always about the best qualified (acdemically) but the best all-round qualities you can bring to the post.
    I know people with firsts who struggled to get jobs and those with thirds who had no difficulty.

15. Having a first will not give you an advantage.

16. In my opinion, if you are an excellent teacher going for a job along with other excellent teachers, then your degree should be taken into consideration, especially if there is nothing else to separate you What's the point of working hard at university to get the best mark that you can if it gives you no advantage?

I have to say though that I am slightly embittered, having a first and achieving outstanding reports all the way through training yet only securing a maternity cover after graduation. This at the same time as watching colleagues whom I know to have struggled, both academically and professionally, walking into jobs.

If I hadn't secured a full time job for September, I think I would be well on my way to being a bitter and twisted old man!

17. I think the only time it would count if that was the only thing to differentiate the candidates.
    Recently we had a range of candidates at our school with differing leveles of experience and qualifications. After watching them teach none of them got the job.
    That is what matters.
    At UNI I remember being with other students who were 1:1 2:1 level in Uni but could not teach for toffee!
    I got a 2:2 - drinking mans degree!

18. I've been on a lot of interview panels recently and the level of degree makes no odds. It's all about the teaching. To be fair gaining a first means that you are possibly more academic than someone who gains a 2:1 or 2:2 but it doesn't necessarily mean you can teach.

Regency Rob-drinking mans degree-LOL!

19. Some people can write excellent assignments AND teach. Why should they not be given an advantage?

Why does the letter of application and interview mean more? Surely some people can write an excellent letter and also interview well. This does not make them better teachers either!

I think my argument stands, if you are a good teacher up against other applicants who are also good teachers, then your degree should be taken into account.

20. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I was never even asked about the level when I was given my current job (after doing it as supply for a few weeks). I knew people with firsts who struggled to get jobs, and people with 2.2s who walked into them: the only thing which counted was how good at teaching they were, and whether they would 'fit' in with the school. I have interviewed (in a different capacity) for Heads, and didn't really register the degree level. The letter of application and the interview told us everything we needed to know.