1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First CAF - argghh

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by L10, Mar 19, 2011.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

I'm opening a family CAF next week and have a whole family meeting which I'm very anxious about. I've not done this before or even led a meeting so am aphrehensive about it. I've asked our parent partnership link to come but not sure how to start the meeting etc. Do I fill the form in as we go?
    Sorry if this sounds daft but I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

2. Have you done the CAF completion course?

3. L10

L10 New commenter

I went on a data sharing course which discussed the procedure briefly. Please don't say that the CAF completion course is a requirement?

4. Sorry not exactly sure of the requirements but I went on the course and found it very helpful. Thinking about it, there was a certificate given out at the end of the session but not sure if that counts as a requirement that you have to have. Your locality team are up to speed with this - you could try to contact them. They will have someone who is fully aware of how to complete them.
    Must add, it is very a simple process - as with anything these days, the red tape make it sound more complicated than it actually is!

5. I have been told that in my area (Kent) they will not consider a CAF if the person completing it hasn't completed the training. Not sure if this is the case everywhere.

6. Hi, I think the most important thing to remember is to have read through the form and be familiar with what detail is needed. If you look confident then the family will feel more relaxed. It is also important to stress that although some of the questions can appear very intrusive, they are designed to ensure that the family will stand more chance of getting all the help that they need from relevant agencies. Fill in the form as you go or make detailed notes if you feel it would be better for you to do after. Only problem is it cannot be signed by family until it is complete so you may as well do it as you go along.

Good luck, don't stress, and remember to breathe!!!

7. L10

L10 New commenter

Thanks for your replies.I will speak to the head tomorrow.
    Really not sure how to go about this!

8. L10

L10 New commenter

Giggirl, thanks for that. I'm working alongside the parent support partner - can she be lead?

9. Have you had CAF training? You say you have initiated the CAF, did you speak to other staff?
    What do you hope to get from the CAF? I think you need to speak to staff and find out who's trained in your school.