1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First banger of the year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The dog enjoyed it and went into a barking frenzy. I didn't see what the cat did, because I was trying to get the dog to shut the **** up.

Can we all agree that it isn't fireworks night yet, so there's no need to be flogging fireworks? Can we also agree that public firework displays are more entertaining than anything you're likely to see launched from a back garden, that does little in comparison but annoys everyone else in the neighbourhood, and in particular animals?

Can we further agree that the only reason we have to put up with this annual nonsense is so that someone can earn a profit from our misery?

2. install

install Star commenter

Its Halloween night - time for fireworks,celebration and marvel in my book. I love 'em...but agree there should be a limit :)

colpee likes this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Hate and detest fireworks. Have had dogs who are terrified.... and in that nervous edgy state for weeks as some beggars sell them well before the date and some are still around after the night. Then there are the selfish beggars who have them for their birthday/ whatever parties at any time of the year.
    There was the constant worry when we had horses that a stray rocket or something would land on the stable roof or in the hay store....
    Tight-fisted sods who buy ex display stuff to let off in back gardens without letting animal- owning people know.
    Add to all that the idiots who let off these Chinese lanterns... my FB feed is full of dreadful pics of the burns horses have received from these landing on them/their rugs and also balloons for that matter..... get eaten by animals.
    For what.... fun? Well none of them are fun as my mother discovered when I was about 5/6 and a 'rip- rap' let off near standing groups of people went into my mother's bootee and continued to explode. She received a terrible, deep skin burn on her ankle and had lifelong delicate skin there which in later life would ulcerate at the slightest thing.

Ban the lot..... all the time.... except for maybe well organised displays. (Still think they are a chronic waste of money)

4. Duke of York

I'm guessing that's what prompted the posts about the Wicked Witch of Westminster today. Fireworks were all about blowing up parliament so the likes of her wouldn't have been able to interfere in our lives. Maybe we ought to move the dates to coincide?

In Tesco today, the checkout staff were forced to dress up in Halloween outfits. I normally avoid a particularly miserable assistant who says my sweetheart will have to pay 5p for everyone of the plastic bags she grabs from the vegetable aisles to use as dog poo bags, but today as her checkout was free and she was dressed in a witches outfit, I steered out trolley to it.

I asked her where she left her broomstick and she laughed, telling me she left it at home and walked to work. If I go to the store tomorrow and ask the same question, I wouldn't be the least surprised to get a caution from the police. How do you work that one out?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Helium is a limited resource on this planet. What little we have is made by radio-active decomposition in rocks such as granite and generally becomes accessible through oil and gas. Due to its density, once released into the atmosphere it is lost into space.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Since when have fireworks been linked to Halloween? What has the celebration of "All Hallows Eve" got to do with loud annoying explosions. I don't dispute people let them off on Halloween but I am wondering when this first started.

nomad likes this.
  7. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

We had some a week ago. I just make sure our cat is in

8. install

install Star commenter

Since people enjoyed fireworks - they are not just used for 'fireworks night' and it is legal. I love 'em. Divali, Birthdays, Weddings, New Year's Eve around the world- any celebratory event deserves a happy firework and more . But I agree - there needs to be a limit.

Rott Weiler and colpee like this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Mischiefs with fireworks for two or three weeks around this time of year was certainly alive and well in the 1970s.

install likes this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Strangely enough it was subdued round here last night, mind you the rain may have put off the revellers. Not had any big bangs yet either, but it is time they were banned from sale and restricted to organised things. I used to be a fan, but there is no need to terrorise domestic animals.

InkyP likes this.
  11. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

We've not had anywhere near as many fireworks going off this year as in previous years where it tends to start from about the beginning of October and go on every flipping night for weeks (basically as soon as the local firework pop up shop opens for the years). Our pets have never been bothered by them thankfully - but I think the fact that we live near an army base so fairly regularly have bangs going off in the distance when they're firing on the range is a large factor in that.

My cousin has a dog who is absolutely traumatised this time of year for weeks.

12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The balloon issue arises when grazing animals eat then (rather like the plastic in our oceans). There are documented incidents of the Chinese lanterns landing on rugged up horses and setting them alight. The burns caused are unimaginable. As the weeks and weeks of fireworks and all this other useless stuff increase over the year I am heartily glad I only have the dogs to worry about now.

13. Oscillatingass

Yes there is no doubt that for decades people have let off random fireworks in the lead up to Nov 5th and beyond but I have never heard of any direct association with Halloween before. Normally kids go begging for sweets rather causing explosions.

14. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

A month or so ago I honestly thought someone was trashing a car with a sledge hammer right outside my window, either that or WW3 had started, but when I looked through the curtains expecting to see, at the very least, pretty colours lighting up the sky, there was nothing. There were however lots of complaints on facebook from the local dog community re their dogs that had not coped with the noise. My own dog usually copes well but that time he was on high alert and barking. The 'front line explosions' turned out to be part of a wedding celebration at a hotel, I kid you not........ more than TEN miles down the road. The apology from the hotel owner who was bombarded with complaints was ..............

" Thank you for you feedback and sorry to hear that your dogs were affected. The fireworks were a one off for my brothers wedding. We usually don’t allow them as we are aware of the area. We had canvassed the area to let people know with animals but obviously hadn’t gone as far as (town name) as I have to confess I certainly didn’t think they would reach there. Rest assured that there are no more fireworks scheduled for the next year at least as we only allow them for a private party. Kind Regards ..........."

The problem is that these bangs are getting bigger and are now nothing less than full on explosions. The partner of one ex army veteran who suffers from PTSD wrote on the dog community facebook page that her partner was a quivering wreck thinking he was back in the war zone.

The Government aren't interested even though a petition goes round every year. They are quite happy to keep things as they are.

I was only grateful my daughter's cairn is miles away. He gets into a state over bin lids clanging shut never mind explosives!

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They were, but in my mind the fireworks you could buy in local shops then were much smaller than a lot of the stuff in the local shops now, much of which looks large enough to blow a safe door off.

16. Oscillatingass

I guess the government will be happy with the tax revenue generated by the sale of fireworks eirher that or they don't want to upset the corporate folks who fund the tories.

Pageant likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

More likely they don't want to be seen as nanny state killjoys. I doubt the tax take is that big and anyway if people didn't spend it on fireworks they'd spend it on something else generating tax. And I don't think many big corporations are involved with fireworks - too risky and not enough profit. I believe (but haven't specifically checked) that most firework manufacturers are either small family owned companies (like Kimbolton) or the subsidiaries of big Asian firework manufacturers (like Black Cat).

18. Duke of York

How many of you had a nanny? Why has this term gained linguistic currency, when only the likes of Rees-Mog have ever experienced one?

19. Rott Weiler

I blame it on Mary Poppins :)

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Probably. I think the rocket that went down our school corridor (not me!) only got 3/4 of the way.

And, after the initial excitement of letting bangers off everywhere, we got down to experimenting with coke-can ‘bombs’ of firework fillings ignited by trail of gunpowder:eek: Must have been cheap too, considering the quantities we needed!