1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Assessment Form?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ESLAB, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Does anybody know if, as a full-time NQT, I (or my Mentor) should have filled in my first end of term assessment form? Have been looking up on the TDA website to see what I need to do next etc and it seems like this is something that needs doing...If so, do I do it, or my Mentor, or both? Is there a deadline? Thanks for any info.

2. I can only go off what I have done. My mentor gave me an end of term assessment,highlighting strengths and weaknesses. I presume all mentors have to do this.

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

It can depend on the system they have. In my experience, your mentor/assessor will fill in the bulk of it to demonstrate which standards you've met so far and based on what in their professional judgement.
    There is usually a 2nd section at the end where you can add in your thoughts/opinions/targets about your NQT period so far.

4. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for replies. Do you know if there is a deadline?

5. Hi
    End of term progress reports are required by the appropriate body overseeing your induction (in state schools and academies this will be the Local Authority). The Headteacher is charged with responsibility for making sure these are completed and sent to the LA. In many schools this responsibility is delegated to others e.g. the induction mentor and another memeber of the SLT who looks after NQTs. In general the forms have sections for the school to coment on your progress towards meeting the induction standards as well as sections to coment on areas of strength and development, you should also have a aection for you to comment on things like provision of NQT time, support etc. The forms are ofen signed by the NQT, the mentor and/or Head.
    If the LA does not get the form then they usually nag the head about this, but to be safe I would get the mentor to follow this up ASAP and make sure that the correct paperwork is filed - also keep a copy yourself - if you move schools then it is very useful to have copies are occassionally things do get lost as a person move from place to place.
    If you check your LA website, there is normally a section on induction and many LAs put all the appropriate forms there for mentors/heads and NQTs to download.
    James

6. nebveb

nebveb New commenter

I am an NQT and where I am there was a deadline of some date in December for my first end of term assessment (think it was 12th December). You should have had a pack about your NQT year from your appropriate body (usually your Local authority). Find out who they are and speak to the nqt induction dept to find out whaif you are registered and if so what should have been done or needs to still be done.

7. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for replies. I contacted my Local Authority who have told me that it is my Mentor who fills in the form (and there is a space for my comments). Also, they are quite relaxed when they receive it! So I can mention it when I get back to school and get it done in next few weeks. Panic over...