1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Assembly and I'm terrified - please help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jameswalker12, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dear teachers,
    I am a new teacher and I have my first assembly in two weeks . I'm rather petrified! It will be in front of Early Years and KS1, however, having not done an assembly before, I am very nervous! What sorts of things can I do in my assembly? What behaviour, engagement techniques to get the children's interest can I use?
    Do I start with a song and then lead into a story? I would like to having something with a good moral behind the story but I haven't got a clue where to get resources or anything. I would really appreciate some help and advice on this or even an example of a good structured assembly would be nice. It needs to be 30 minutes.
    Please help!!!!!
    James

2. Dear teachers,
    I am a new teacher and I have my first assembly in two weeks . I'm rather petrified! It will be in front of Early Years and KS1, however, having not done an assembly before, I am very nervous! What sorts of things can I do in my assembly? What behaviour, engagement techniques to get the children's interest can I use?
    Do I start with a song and then lead into a story? I would like to having something with a good moral behind the story but I haven't got a clue where to get resources or anything. I would really appreciate some help and advice on this or even an example of a good structured assembly would be nice. It needs to be 30 minutes.
    Please help!!!!!
    James

3. forestje

forestje New commenter

How about looking at the Seal resources for Good to be me.

4. do you not sit in assembly when other teachers are doing it? if you generally don't, why not make a point of doing so, to get the flavour of how assemblies run in your school

5. Involve the kids! - tell them you will be looking for volunteers throughout but will only choose children who are sitting beautifully and listening etc.
    Praise chn as they are coming in - "I'm very impressed, Year 1"
    Mrs. X, I am very impressed with your class..."
    Some team points/stickers for class who came in and settled down the best?
    Have some music playing when they come in. Introduce what the assembly is about - ask some questions "hmmm, I wonder if anyone can tell me..... Let's see, who's sittiing beautifully?...."
    Tell a related story - volunteers to come out and role play?
    What is your theme going to be?

6. http://www.assemblies.org.uk/resources/index.php is really useful.

7. My recommendation is to not use too much involvement from the children, as it can sometimes be very difficult to get quiet back if they're joining in a lot. A quiet, short repeated phrase in a story or something similar is great, and you can say to them that they can only help with this if they're quiet immediately afterwards. Set your boundaries straight away, and possibly choose 4/5 children to get a sticker... at the end.

8. With younger ones I used to find the old 'copy me' trick quite useful to get them quiet - hands on head, finger on nose and ending with arms folded - that sort of thing.