1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First appointment nerves

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Lfcwidow, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    Myself and my OH have been ttc for over a year, ive had blood tests done by GP which were all fine and OH has had semen analysis which again came back fine. I have now been refered to the hospital for further investigation and have my first appointment in a few days.
    I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to expect? is this going to be an initial consultation/discussion about what they are going to do? or will they actually want to do any testing there and then?
    It's been a long time since i went to a hospital and i'm going on my own so a little bit nervous. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    [​IMG]

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I recently had my first appointment. My GP had already run bloods and carried out a swab and OH had provided a 'normal' SA. We'd been trying for 2 years when I had my appointment.
    I was rather disappointed as I didn't see a consultant but the 'sister in charge of fertility'. However, this is what happened. I took mine and OH's results with me which they were very grateful for as they said it speeds up the process and also meant they could add them to my notes there and then and talk me through them (although the only thing necessary to talk through was OH's SA, which looked pretty good to me when she explained it). They weighed and measured me and calculated my bmi. She asked some Qs about how long we'd been trying and general medical info, though once again I was surprised she didn't ask about meds or OH's medical stuff. They told me that my GPs bloods weren't as extensive as they'd like so arranged for me to repeat cd2 and cd21 bloods and asked that OH produce another sample as standard procedure. She also arranged for me to have a scan (***-cam and ultrasound) which I have next month. I then see a consultant in September assuming I don't have a bun in the oven, at which point they will discuss any results if necessary and refer me for IVF if nothing has been thrown up from the tests.
    So that's my experience. HTH

3. Thanks for the tips about test results, i picked a copy of mine up this morning to take with me, they wouldnt give me my OH's as he didnt personally ask for them. Ah well if he has to do another sample so be it, i'm sure he can manage, lol.
    I don't know why i'm so nervous about going today as i don't expect they will do much today except talk to me ( came on during the week so i doubt there will be much examining going on)

Thanks for the advice from everyone, i'll report back later when i get back x

4. How did it go?

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You don't need to see a consultant for a chlamydia test - what a waste of his/her time! No wonder there are waiting lists.

A nurse at your GP's practice can do it.

6. A faff indeed! How annoying.
    It sounds like you're going to have an HSG (the X-ray with the dye) to check your tubes. I had this done, although was not given the option of being knocked out. They did it while I was awake. It's a bit like a smear, uncomfortable and a bit embarrassing! Mine didn't hurt at all, but I think if a blockage is found some women find it painful.
    It's a bit strange that your consultant didn't get you swabbed in your initial appointment - it could have saved you a lot of hassle, or at least time as you could have said there and then that you were on AF.

7. Don't worry about the HSG hurting, it is completely different from having swabs taken.
    I had swabs taken at my doctors surgery once and I really found it painful, both having the speculum put in and actually having the swabs done. HSG is a completely different sensation, I didn't find it painful at all, just felt a mild period-type pain.
    I hope it goes well, I was so relieved when it was done and was nowhere near as bad as I thought!

8. HSG is more a kind of weird, uncomfortable feeling than pain. Hints from me.... take paractamol/ibuprofen 30-60 mins before (by the time the cramping starts as your body expels the dye, the pain relief will have kicked in!) and make sure you take a sanitary towel with you (NHS ones are mahoosive!!)

9. I had a HSG last month and it didn't hurt at all. My hospital were running almost 2 hours late (very long story), so my ibuprofen had worn off by then and I was worried it would hurt (I'm no good with pain). It lasted about 20 mins and I thought it was more uncomfortable having a smear test. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

10. Thanks everyone, i think i just needed some first hand reassurance and you've provided that.

Antoniou i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you x