1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Ang San Suu Kyi, now the Dalai Lama

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 13, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

As bad things go this, if bad, is not on the scale of ASSK's errors.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh for sure... I see she was defending the arrest of the Reuter's journalists... not good optics.

Just interesting that these noble icons from a few decades back are now slipping up... to varying degrees.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

They were elevated to nobility by people wishing to look noble by association. Perhaps they were the foci of a kind of Orientalism.

lanokia likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My father in law is a (really annoying) vegan Buddhist and I suspect this will upset him a little bit. Because I'm fundamentally quite horrible, this makes me smile just a little. Sssh, don't tell him.

lindenlea and aypi like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm glad you have finally admitted what the rest of us quickly understood to be the case.

coffeekid and Vince_Ulam like this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Please forgive me for giving in to temptation.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He's at it again...

"Europe for Europeans"

https://twitter.com/BBCRajiniV/status/1144216596480712704

upload_2019-6-28_18-48-29.png

His full point was that African people should be given sanctuary in Europe, provided with necessary assistance, trained and educated in areas with good skills... and then return home to improve their nations...

But the BBC are throwing it out as 'Europe for Europeans' and missing the nuance. Surprise surprise.

rachel_g41 and towncryer like this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

While true Panchen Nyima is probably in London!

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Why qualify it?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sorry, giving in to temptation a second time on the same issue. No originality, I'm sorry to say.

12. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

"Receive them, help them, educate them" he says. Not deny them entry and let their boats sink in the Med.

Europe is "morally responsible" for helping refugees facing danger in their lives, is what he says.

If wealthy nations supported developing countrries instead of continuing to exploit them (and supporting doesn't mean world bank loans burdened with caveats that ruin their chances of social investment and real development) we could stem the tide of refugees far more effectively than the gun boats Katie Hopkins advocated.

rideemcowboy and lanokia like this.
  13. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

I am comfortable that his statements are not racist or supremist but supportive and well meaning.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I cant be the only one that thinks he mainly speaks in platitudes.