1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Aid Training

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by crumblebucket, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me whether or not it is compulsory for all staff in primary schools to undertake first aid training (I think it's the First Aid in the Workplace course that is valid for three years)?
    Many thanks

2. Interesting question - I am not sure.
    All TAs in our primary are First Aid trained but the teachers are not. Nobody has ever questioned it, we get notice that our First Aid qualification needs updating and off we go. That's not to say that it's a responsibility that we relish, there have been some challenging First Aid incidents that have given some of our staff a sleepless night or two.
    I would think that your Head cannot force an employee to do something that you don't want to do but you might risk looking unwilling/awkward/in breach of contract etc and with employment the way it is at the moment most employees when asked to do anything are finding it hard to say no.
    Would be interested to know the position on First Aid training though!

3. Unfortuantely not. All the TAs in our school have undertaken a one day course and there are 3 TAs who have undertaken First Aid at Work.(which is a three day course) This enables us to get a little extra money as we are the ones who get called upon to take on any Emergency duties, ensure that the first aid boxes are stocked and ordered.
    None of the teaching staff have had any first aid training.

4. I can not imagine this would be compulsory because not everyone would feel that they could deal with an emergency calmly and others may not be able to tolerate the sight of blood for example. I can not imagine any Head Teacher would force someone to do this course. A relucant first aider would not inspire confidence. Also if you did the course, you need not pass it!!

5. R13

R13 New commenter

It isn't compulsory or indeed needed. As a Head i have to risk assess the situation and see how many appropriately qualified staff I need to cover my children and staff. Different qualifications are needed for those with very young children - which also has to be considered

6. Thank you all for your replies. I have done this course before and in fact did my renewal today and think it is very worthwhile. The reason I asked was that it clashed with a long standing dentist appointment (me plus children) which I had forgotten about. I was told that if I missed the course (which had been paid for) I would have to pay to attend another one in my own time. I can reluctantly understand that I could possibly be expected to repay the fee for a course I did not attend, but having to book another myself gave the impression that it was compulsory. (The course was held on an inset day, for which I don't get paid, but have T.O.I.L.) I do wonder what would have happened if I had been sick that day!
    Thanks again.

7. Hi there,
    As a teacher and first aid tutor teaching first aid trainer courses, I think all teachers should know about first aid and there should be qualified first aid trainers in every School so that the other teachers can learn first aid as well as all pupils.
    If you would like to learn to teach first aid just visit www.abertaytraining.co.uk or call 0845 3700 305
    Paul

8. I am currently applying for Teaching Assistant jobs having almost completed a Level 2 TA course, and have a First Class degree. Many of the jobs are saying an essential requirement is for a First Aid certificate, and also to have completed the DFEs TA induction course. I am finding this really difficult to get into as I am volunteering at a school whilst doing the level 2 course, so can't fit in a First Aid certificate at the moment, although I would love to do it, and can't do the induction course until I have been employed as a TA.

9. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi, in our area if you have level 2/3 no school asks for the induction course the only TA's that I know have been on this course is if they do not have these levels. As for the First aid course you can complete this in three days if first timer and two days if a refresher, is this not possible. If as you say it is a requirement in the essential section then I think that you will need it, unfortunately it means that you will have to pay. It seems a bit harsh to have this under the essentials criteria as this is usually under the desirable section. Good luck with your applications.

10. Hi, I am a T.A and my two first aid certificates have both run out, I have been told I am still expected to do first aid, is this correct?

If it is, why do we bother to have refresher First Aid courses before they run out?

Thanks for any replies.

11. You should not carry out first aid if you don't have a current certificate. It's as simple as that.

12. So why am I told I should do it ? This comes from the head teacher too, the advice being you have been trained so therefore you have done the courses

13. There are 6 TA's in our school and I am the only one that is trained in First Aid. I wasn't given an option either time ( I have done it twice in my school) However both times I have never been given so much as a copy of the certificate telling me I am qualified. Although to be honest with you, the last First Aid course I was on (last year) was a waste of time IMO as I didn't learn anything about what I deal with on a weekly basis working in a school setting. Such as bumped heads, possible break of fingers/arms/wrists etc.

I don't get paid any more for it and it annoys me that I m the only TA qualified as the other 5 don't take any interest in so much as a cut knee as the children are just passed over to me :-(

And can anyone here who has done their First Aid course honestly tell me, that if your certificate has run out of date, you would stand by and watch a child choke/ or suffer with an injury??? Or if God forbid someone be it a child/member of staff/parent etc collapsed and needed resuscitated you would just walk away and do nothing??? I know I couldn't stand by and do nothing!!

14. There are six support staff at my school who have FA training, lasting three years before renewal, Grainne09. If renewed before three years we just do a refresher 2 day course, after three years it is the full three days. We don't get paid extra either. We receive our certificate on the last day of the training and display them in the medical room.

Our HT insisted that all support staff are FA trained, particularly when we accompany classes out of school etc.

Our HT has said that even though we are FA trained we don't have to do anything we are not comfortable with. For example, one member of staff doesn't do sick as they are physically sick themselves. I personally don't mind dealing with sick pupils but I won't doing anything invasive e.g. diabetes injections but will supervise pupils injecting themselves.