1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First 7 spot ladybird this year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have just seen my first 7 spot ladybird (the good ones that eat aphids) It was sitting on our damp dish cloth by our kitchen sink. I have no idea where it came from but presumably it has been hibernating nearby.

We get lots of ladybirds on the privet (I think) bush outside our kitchen window which has an ants' nest underneath who look after the aphids, so hibernating there?
    [​IMG]

Not my picture by the way. Pinched from somewhere on the www.

kibosh and needabreak like this.
  2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Spring is springing for certain. What a lovely picture!

TCSC47, needabreak and Dragonlady30 like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

A big bumble bee bumbled into me yesterday, it was huge and a joy to see, it gave me hope of warmer weather albeit temporary, then this morning the sun was out and it has just popped it's head through the clouds again, oh the joys. :)

kibosh, TCSC47 and JosieWhitehead like this.
  4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

We've had an "expectant" female duck at the door - always starving before egg-laying. Her husband is the same because he lovingly sits with her during nesting. She always has her young at Easter-time and a greedier bunch there never was!!! Then there's a little Jenny wren rummaging in the garden and flying off with nesting material. Little birds are coming and going from my hedge with things in their beaks. Yes, they think we've seen the back of winter for sure and I'm glad to have the first of my washing dried on the line.

kibosh and TCSC47 like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I saw my first brimstone of the year on the 8th of March (sons b/day made it stick in my mind) and then about 4-5 of them along the same hedge row a week ago before the last cold weather hit. I hope they found somewhere safe to sit the cold out.

Far less bird activity at the feeders today, I presume they are courting and looking for nest sites.

kibosh and TCSC47 like this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

@TCSC47 they don't hibernate, but have a dormant state called 'overwintering' usually in treebark or similar. If they come in your house towards winter it's better to take them outside as they tend to dehydrate in modern houses over the winter.

Have a look out for these on the underside of your privet leaves towards the end of May though -
    [​IMG]

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I have a cotoneaster at the front of my house that usually swarms with ladybirds. Last year we didnt get a single one, we did get a few of the invaders though.

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Cheers for the correction Stilt. I did put it out onto the hedge where we normally see them. I wonder if it was suffering from dehydration as it was sitting on the wet washing up cloth.

Stiltskin likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Were the others not paying attention?

marymoocow likes this.