1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fireworks chemicals

Discussion in 'Science' started by Jennie13, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hi,

I work in a primary school and want to show some students how fireworks are made. I have a bunsen burner and gas so just need to source small amounts of the chemicals required e.g. barium, strontium etc.

I don't have an account with a chemicals supplier so any ideas how I could source these chemicals where all I need to do is light them?

Thanks!

2. Ask your local secondary school for small amounts?
    Sodium is easy, common salt will give you the orange soda flame
    Potassium you could use LoSalt which is potassium chloride however I'm not sure if it is mixed with NaCl which will mask the colour.
    Iron filings make good sparklers if you just wet a splint and dip it into the pot.
    The others are more difficult without ready access to an account with a supplier. We don't have any strontium salts at my secondary school!

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

A couple of years ago I bought some chemical off Ebay to make firework effects at a cub camp. I brought Copper Chloride and a block of magnesium (sold as a fire starting chemical) relatively cheaply