1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fireworks are falling on my head

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not literally but they well could be. They are already bangcrashing all evening every evening from the moment darkness falls and I keep finding spent rockets in the garden. Isn't it about time this archaic, annual noisefest was abolished? And we aren't even into November yet anyway. It burns money. It causes hundreds of accidents. It terrifies animals and it makes far too much noise. Bah humbug.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I agree. Let's outlaw them. Have supervised displays by licensed personnel.

I find them terrifying. Gawd knows the cost to the NHS and Fire Service. Pointless. Ask kids about Guy Fawkes. They will know NOTHING.

ilovesooty, Dragonlady30 and kibosh like this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I totally agree. Organised, licensed events only.

ilovesooty and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That's an early start. They have a fabulous display in the primary school very close to us. Last year some of the fireworks were so big they made our house shake. Our dogs are usually OK with fireworks but that was too much for one of them. This year I will have to sedate him.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

At last, a topic I can go on a rant about. Guy Fawkes night, the 2 month build up to it and then the months after are a nightmare in many communities. Sonic boom after sonic boom . . . .not even proper 'pretty' fireworks, just an explosive. The sale of fireworks should be limited to Local Authorities (who are putting on a public display) and subject to a rigorous, multi-staged application process (and a fee), suitably detailed and tortuous (get the Swiss to write it) to deter all but the most determined and bureaucratically minded.

Instead what have we got? Our stupidest teens (mostly), unsupervised and armed with explosives, terrorising communities. Will it take a Fire Service strike on the 5th Nov to get the authorities thinking? Who foots the bill for numerous fire engine call-outs, the massive clean up the next day, the police helicopter, the riot police etc.?

Its insane that we allow this 'celebration' to continue.

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

They should be banned! So should those floating lantern things!

grumpydogwoman, InkyP and kibosh like this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And have you ever been in Battle around this time? Talk about nutters!

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is Battle a place or an activity. If it's an activity, then 'Yes, I have!!' If it's a place, then I reckon there's thousands of Battles across the country, all full of nutters.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I actually meant Lewes but Battle is crazy too. They are both places in Sussex

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I hate fireworks.
    They terrify me.
    They upset my beautiful but stupid Cocker Spaniels.
    Who ever wants to ban them has my blessing and support!!!

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I want to ban them and I now feel blessed and supported

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, quite right, Mu Putin (like I'm going to go against Putin). Those lanterns are an absolute menace. Didn't one cause at least one major fire not so long ago?

What idiot would do that? What crazy twit-face would think it's a good idea to send fire wafting around roofs?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's been very quiet around here in the run-up. A few years ago it could be very noisy.
    I didn't like the period when we couldn't have fireworks in between the periods when we could.
    Now we need permission.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The dog spends much of her time under my desk at this time of the year if I'm at the computer, the enclosed space and my near presence gives her some comfort. As we live in a village, we don't get it anywhere near as bad as many, but still far too much. I never understand those who decide they have to set theirs off at or after midnight.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We now live in a small village and have yet to see what happens on the 5th . . . . nothing so far though, in the run up
    [​IMG]

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Although non-5th fireworks irritate me a bit, I would feel such a killjoy complaining or agreeing to their ban. I can remember all too clearly the schoolboy excitement of buying boxes of bangers and creating noisy mayhemfor afew days. Also the gunpowder experiments of pooling resources and trying to manufacture the largest explosion we could.

Yobbish? we-ell yeees, but it was such exciting boyish fun!

Sorry folks. :oops::oops:

racroesus and cuteinpuce like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I loathe fireworks and would be happy to see them restricted to organised displays.
    I hate Halloween even more though.

Lascarina likes this.
  19. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Haven't heard a single firework yet at all.

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Hallowe'en is an abomination.

lindenlea, HelenREMfan and ilovesooty like this.