1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fire proof fabrics in school (hessian)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by puffinjen, Jul 7, 2012.

1. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

I want to use hessian fabrics for my display boards next year - I know I need to use fire retardant fabrics for displays but was wondering if using fire retardant spray over normal hessian (as it is a lot cheaper) would suffice? Not sure on the health and safety rules / legalities of it all and have tried researching it but am not getting anywhere.
    Thanks!

2. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

I want to use hessian fabrics for my display boards next year - I know I need to use fire retardant fabrics for displays but was wondering if using fire retardant spray over normal hessian (as it is a lot cheaper) would suffice? Not sure on the health and safety rules / legalities of it all and have tried researching it but am not getting anywhere.
    Thanks!

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Backing paper isn't fire retardant, so I would have thought the spray would certainly be fine. It's what we use on fabrics on stage for the school show under the hot lights.
    Ask the caretaker/ member of staff ic health and safety.... otherwise I wouldn't worry - the fact you've used the spray means you've risk assessed and taken a precaution.
    Bet it will look great!

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I use upholstery hessian for my display boards and given that it is upholstery hessian, I'm sure it must have undergone some kind of fire testing. Natural fabrics have good fire retardance anyway.

5. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

Thanks very much for the replies - kind of what I expected but wanted to be sure!