1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fire management guidance

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by fab165, Jul 3, 2016.

1. fab165

fab165 New commenter

Good morning,
    I have recently moved to anew school and I am evaluating the current fire management systems in place within the primary school. Can anyone sign post me to any guidance/information into what should be in place to make sure I can evaluate comprehensively?
    I have found this: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-safety-risk-assessment-educational-premises but I wasn't sure if there was a more up-to-date version?
    Any advice would be greatly received.
    Have a great day.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Do you have a LA buildings manager? We have a dedicated one who visits us once a month. I run all issues passed her including our fire alarm system.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You may well find the Fire Brigade will willingly come and discuss. With a very dispersed campus which means that it's stunningly difficult to identify where everyone is all the time, their advice was ever so helpful to us (and practical too).
    If you want practical training for staff with fire extinguishers, try arranging for the training at the same time as the extinguishers are serviced. Some which are past their extinguish-by date may well be available free to let off.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That is the most up to date version

My LA provides a H&S fire safety audit service. We have to pay for it. I think they'd make it available to academies in our LA area as long as the academy paid the full cost. The other people who might be willing to do a survey are your fire insurers.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The one thing I learned on my fire extinguisher course was not to attempt to use one as they're bl***y difficult! It was a very salient lesson on how difficult it is to put out a fire and how your plan should be 'get out and stay out'.