1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finnish teaching methods

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Thisismytruth, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Quite possibly - but I don't regard it as a Mecca myself. Think different systems work for different cultures.

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Though there are obviously some cultures where no method yet discovered is efficacious.

Well, one at least.

3. Referring to ours there by any chance?

4. Yours, I believe. Who archived those 'initiatives'? [​IMG]

5. BigFrankEM

Got it in one.

6. Maybe one day that will change? Can always hope :)

7. Vive la France, text books and all!

8. BigFrankEM

Especially when the "all" includes
    high salary
    high status
    small classes
    short hours
    no extras
    no need to banda off worksheets in the office before the classes begin.
    Given those terms and notwithstanding the continuation of a culture influenced out of all proportion by the music (sic) of Johnny Halliday, I might just be tempted take Marianne's new francs myself, were I younger.
    Et alors, there's the pension too.

9. I was always under the impression that the French had fairly long school days?

10. BigFrankEM

I`m very far from expert but I would suggest from the point of view of teachers that 2 vital elements are:
    4.5 day week max i.e. Wed aft off.
    (Very) limited secondary contact hours; at least by English standards.
    I stand to be corrected of course but untill I hear differently I will postulate that the above (both now and previously) is true.
    It's not just in terms of text books and classroomchaos that English teachers are the odd persons out.

11. BigFrankEM

Oops, sorry. I checked it out. Too late. After I posted. Sorry.
    On an unofficial website as below
    www.readyforfrance.com
    And I did get it wrong.
    Sorry again.
    According to this website, "most" French schools don't have a 4.5 day week.
    Sorry again.
    No, they have a 4 day week !
    Most French primary and secondary schools follow a pattern of 6.5 weeks of classes and 2 weeks holidays.
    French school holidays are generally as follows, with some regional variations:
    • 2 weeks in February
      2 weeks at Easter
      12 weeks from 15 June to 15 September
      1 week around 1 November
      2 weeks at Christmas
    Most French state schools have adopted a 4-day week with Wednesday remaining free and no school on Saturdays. In areas where Wednesday is still a school day, it is usually a half day with optional games in the afternoon.
    Now why does the bloke from the Daily Mail who is always sounding off and complaining about teacher indolence here never mention that little detail ?
    Nor the unions ?
    Nor the teachers themselves ?
    Might it still be the case that English teachers don't realise they actually have schools in France ?

12. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

'bout as relevant as suggesting a French miss seeing her husbands mistress as reason to get busy is better or worse than an English ma'am grumping cos her husband looked at some young lass for a miscrosecond.

As far removed from Finnish teaching methods, compared to the English ones and the other ones, as a thread can get.