1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Finishing Supply? Beware Tax loose ends..

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Aug 29, 2012.

  1. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    Having been in the fortunate position of ending supply teaching to take up a part-time post, I decided to contact HMRC about a rebate for overpaid tax in 2011-12 for one of my previous employers, an LEA who last paid me in Dec 2011. Imagine my surprise when HMRC tell me that they can't deal with the rebate yet because I haven't officially been signed off from the LEA, or the agency (I resigned two months ago), or an Academy I worked for in the previous tax year who kept me on their temporary employee list.

    Be aware that Academies are separate entities to LEAs for tax purposes now, and that agencies may be slow (or useless) in notifying schools of your departure. If you should finish supply work you may have a fair bit of mopping up to do chasing previous employers for P45s - a good starting point is to phone HMRC and ask who they have listed as your employers.

    Also, if you're fortunate enough to get a long-term supply post, especially in an academy, make sure you get your current tax allowance switched to that employer so you're not automatically taxed at Basic Rate - again, a phone call to HMRC can sort this.
  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    That's wrong advice. You don't need to have resigned at all to get overpaid tax repaid to you if you paid too much in a past tax year. 20011/12 is a completed tax year and you can get overpaid tax repaid.
    If the issue is with wanting your tax code to apply to your new p/t employment, that also is possible and doesn't involve having to have left an employment, even though you have.
    I've rung my tax office in the past and split my tax code between 2 employers and I've also changed my mind in a different tax year and arranged over the phone for my tax code to go to one employer again.
    When claiming an assessment of your past earnings and overall tax paid, remember to claim your professional fees against tax (GTC fees, allowable portion of Union fees and Uniform allowance if you have to keep a PE kit to hand in case you are needed to supervise that subject at any point). I've had £60 added to my tax code to account for Uniform Allowance, reducing the tax I have to pay by £12.
    With the NUT you can offset two thirds of the subs against tax.
    With the ATL, you can offset nine tenths.
    Ask other Unions for the allowable fraction.
    You can back claim for the past 4 tax years.

Share This Page