1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finishing school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was reading an article on the BBC website the other day about what was claimed to be China's first finishing school. It had a short video which showed Chinese ladies walking around with books on their heads and eating oranges with a knife and fork, the peel having been previously cut into a sort of flower shape and drawn away from the endocarp to form a base on which the endocarp sat.

It isn't the only finishing school in China now and with China now having more millionaires that anywhere else, their popularity is increasing.

Just an idea, but after I read a comment on another thread, (I think it may have been the one about all schools will become academies) where the poster said "that's me finished with schools" it occurred to me that teachers who are finishing their careers in schools might like the idea of starting up a finishing school.

What do you reckon?

How good are you at balancing a book on your head?

Apparently, the correct etiquette when entering a room is to close the door behind you. That is, literally that. You are supposed to keep eye contact with the people in the room and work the door closed behind your back. Wonderful if there's someone about to enter it with a tray of tea, I'd have thought, but that's etiquette for you.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No takers for this thread then? I obviously misjudged those of you who post about the absurdity and injustice of education being the saviour of our nation.Our future rulers, a Communist state understands the value of finishing schools for the elite. Didn't you teachers ought to be preparing yourselves for the future?

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Finishing School will no doubt imbue its graduates with a degree of confidence when amongst other people. Such are people.