1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finishing projects

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Grandsire, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

inspired by Foxtail, I’m going to suggest we open a confessional thread where we own up to all the creative projects we haven’t finished, in the hope we might be able to spur each other on to finish them.

By coincidence, I had a conversation on this very topic on the phone yesterday morning, and wandered round the house counting up the half-finished creative projects in various rooms. The total surprised me, and I didn’t even open the spare bedroom door...

So, I’ll start... Two half-finished bags on the dining table. One needs a zip and a liner, the other just needs the ends tying off. Another bag half-started but not yet pieced together in my work bag in the bedroom.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

It's not so much a question of finishing off but starting in my case I'm afraid.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Never had a half finished project. There may be one or two I never started but once I start I take it to the end. Latest project. DiL 2 wants a wall rack for her gin bottles. She sent me a photo of one she saw and asked me to make her one. I think she saw the puck display racks I made for DiL 1 and decided that she should set me a project, bless!

4. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC Occasional commenter

The garments I wear for my various nefarious activities were made from red deer skins using the modern equivalents of ancient tools, and it took ten days to make them from start to finish. Some time ago I carefully shopped around on ebay and bought five reindeer skins with a view to making a second set of garments using replica stone age tools, for example flint blades, a bone punch and antler needles. It's going to take some time to complete this project and I haven't quite got round to it yet, but I hope to have them ready in time for the next Ice Age. :)

bonxie and oldsomeman like this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have half a patchwork quilt made. It may have to be a single bed size, but I only have double beds, so that's not really the way forward.:(

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Never realised I was an inspiration Grandsire! That’ll be a first. :D
    I have a prom blanket that needs the ends weaving in and a little jacket that will be finished when I do the other half of the collar and attach the buttons.

Those are the only current WIPs, but there are some random backs and fronts of knitted garments that will need to be pulled back and made into something else. Probably hats and blankets for the hospital.

7. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Building a conservatory. Was given one by a friend who was having a 'garden room' built, so had no need for the two year old conservatory. We deconstructed it, made careful plans, coded all the various bits and over the next few day brought it home to reconstruct at a later date (when it was warmer basically)

That was over 18 months ago and it still remains a stacked garden ornament, the carefully coded parts have been washed off and the copious re-build notes are lost forever!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A thousand years in the making...your gonna get cold.Well done for having longevity in life :p

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

So projects
    Well - there is the replacing of a heating element in the tank..12 month late
    door ripped itself of the conservatory in the wind....5 monts od shtting and holding on a youopen
    The fixing of all the sash windows so they slide correctly and the fixing of all the draughts in this dam house as winter arrives.
    I am a sewer so lots of projects on the go ready for craft fairs and slowly getting finished when other tasks allow.
    The front bedroom needs redecorating and carpeting ..that a job from time immortal
    Lots of small things like still getting to throw away all my teaching rescouces but they are going as i do discover them. A whole shelf of teaching books on which my fingers tremble as if they go it really will be the end of a teaching career,Same time I cant find teachers who want them as the are NC biased.
    I can't overcome my wifes inertia to throw out furniture and so other projects await..like moving the Grandmother clock in to the front room and setting it back up working again. and disposing of display cabinets,plus 6 boxes of items brought from the FIL house stored in the shed.Why the hell we need them I do not know....but, if she sees them, it will be a clinging tight as they were her mothers,along with 2 bicyles stored there in the shed for last 15 years...one day ,one day.
    Many jobs are down to lack of cash now i do not seem to be working,and that is down to arthritus being a pain and a wonky knee which means I can not bend or kneel easily.Its so frustrating!

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Over three decades ago I set myself the project of becoming an Outstanding Teacher when I qualified. I set about building up all the usual traits-dilligence, expertise, caring, organisation,reflection, research. But I dropped it all about ten years ago to concentrate on the kids in front of me and the bread on the table, and all the time it's still there lying half finished in the corner. Every time I have an observation I polish it up a bit, but then think "nah, cannot be arrused" and shove it back in the cupboard for what will have to be a very rainy day.
    I'm such a non-finisher.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There's only one project I started, but never finished. A clock. I started making it after I left the NHS and imagined I'd only need to work three days a week, so I'd be able to find at least one day each week to work on it. I made the various tools and mandrels I'd need, cut the wheels and made the frame, but as business picked up, I gradually found myself having less time to spend on this project.

My three day week, became a seven day week. My workshop grew bigger and better, until all the available space was taken up, ironically with equipment that would have made clock making far simpler than it had been when I began the project.

Other projects at home came along, like refitting the bathroom and kitchen, fitting central heating, all of which needed to be completed and there was never enough time to set aside to return to the clock.

With a project like that, you need to be able to return to it on a regular basis, or you lose track of where you are with it. I remember looking in the box of bits some ten years after I'd started and tried to work out why I'd made some particular tools, since they had been superceeded by the more advanced equipment I now had.

To put this in context, I started out with just a basic lathe and a milling machine, but not much tooling or money, but that's enough if you've got the ingenuity to devise ways of making the tooling. As the business grew, I bought more sophisticated machinery and as I did so bought all the tooling I'd ever need, so wouldn't sod about doing things the hard way any longer.

Eventually, my major customer was purchased by a Yankee competitor, which made my business unviable, so I sold everything to another engineering firm. I have no idea what happened to all the clock parts.

Still it kept me occupied for a while and I remember was quite fun at the time, working out how I would go about it.

12. fennysnake

fennysnake New commenter

1. a bare patch of plaster on the living room wall that needs painting
    2. 4 chair seats to re-cover (done two)
    3. bare section of skirting board waiting to be painted in the kitchen
    4. wooden chair from the charity shop half sanded down ready to be stained and waxed
    5. a massive container of cooked quince waiting to be put through a sieve
    I started all but number 5 during the summer holidays - they will have to wait until next summer holidays to get finished.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Some projects lead to others. My firewood project of breaking up pallets led to me using some of the better pieces of wood to make some 'rustic' herb boxes for the garden which in turn led to more boxes for DiL2's garden! Some of the timbers will be upcycled into fence posts for some low fencing I am planning for the back garden next spring. Still plenty of firewood though.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have multiple unfinished knitting projects. I am currently knitting smaller items for a craft fair in November,.

A quarter of the paper on the kitchen ceiling has been stripped off after a water Leak and I can't summon up the enthusiasm to strip the rest and paint it. It will wait until the Spring, I think, as the wallpaper might as well come off as well or it will look odd against a new ceiling..

we still don,t have curtains or blinds in the lounge or dining
    room and we've been here for 31 years! We are not overlooked and are not visible from the street , so getting it sorted has never been a priority.

freckle06 likes this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

"A job begun is half done"

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nothing. I'm all up to date. I intend to make a cake for my granddaughter's birthday and run up a few dolly dresses but I don't need to start them yet.

17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We are having a new extension and kitchen as we speak so lots to do in preparation, which has also motivated me to do all the other piles of stuff around the house.
    1. Empty kitchen cupboards and get rid of all unused/ unwanted stuff and out of date food.
    2. Investigate Magpie for all the 100s of books piled up in various rooms.
    3. Sort and throw stuff in spare room.
    4. Clean daughter's room as now she has gone to uni, it can be used for guests. Her idea of tidy is not mine!
    5. start and finish craft kit my daughter bought me for my birthday.

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

@marymoocow its always useful to have a spare room to throw stuff into!

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I know but there is no more room in there to throw stuff into. :DI also need to persuade my OH that we really dont need a ridiculously large, but useless fitted wardrobe we inherited.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This is my kind of thread - not so much because I've abandoned lots of projects, but because I can totally understand why projects get abandoned, and I secretly want to abandon a few projects I've committed myself to. I say "committed myself" but really, I'm not answerable to anyone for them, apart from myself. Take the podcast I write, edit and produce for example. It takes up a massive chunk of my life, every month. Research, writing, recording, editing and producing. It started out as a labour of love, and even though it still is, I sometimes wish I'd never started it. I keep doing it because we have listeners who like it, and I'd feel bad if I just stopped.
    Also - learning Spanish - I can't give up because I've been at it for over a year now and I'd never forgive myself if I stopped.
    The guilt would be too much.