1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finishing NQT year- question

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by NNS, Aug 26, 2012.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

I have finished and passed my NQT year in July. I have so far not received anything from the school/local authority about passing the year. I have not asked my PM about the details before I left (I had a one year contract and I am starting in a new school this year), but from what I have understood, LA was supposed to send us something?

The problem I, my new school would need some proof of me passing my NQT to give me an M2 salary, and I do not know if I should phone somewhere (where?) to receive it, or wait?

2. NNS

NNS New commenter

I have finished and passed my NQT year in July. I have so far not received anything from the school/local authority about passing the year. I have not asked my PM about the details before I left (I had a one year contract and I am starting in a new school this year), but from what I have understood, LA was supposed to send us something?

The problem I, my new school would need some proof of me passing my NQT to give me an M2 salary, and I do not know if I should phone somewhere (where?) to receive it, or wait?

3. Hi
    I've just finished my NQT year also and I was told by my NQT mentor that they dont give out NQT certificates, or confirmation that you have passed your NQT year..
    Perhaps you could ask your NQT mentor for a reference confirming it instead?

4. Its been afew years but I never received anything official. We just signed off the documents and my school gave all of use NQTS champagne and that was it.
    You know whether or not you have passed because you will have signed your end of induction report which told you and you should have a copy of this- photocopy it/email it to your new school. Job done.
    If you have lost it and your school uses NQT manager a copy will be saved on there

5. NNS

NNS New commenter

I did not get a copy of anything, I just signed one copy an that was it. I will email my mentor to ee whether he can send me a copy.

6. Did no one ever tell you that you should never sign anything without:
    reading it
    getting a copy!

ever!

7. NNS

NNS New commenter

I read it through, but I thought that we would get a certificate or something afterwards, and the end of the year was so hectic that I did not think of it at that time.

8. If you're in the state system, it's pretty much automatic. I finished my NQT year, received a second purple certificate through the post (same as the QTS one, but congratulating me on completing my induction period), and found myself on M2 in September. That was five years ago though, so I don't know if stuff has changed.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The LA will send a certificate around October/November time (to your old school).
    Pay progression to M2 does not happen by virtue of completing Induction. You could have worked part-time last year, not completed Induction , and still be eligible for M2 based on having been employed by an LA in 26 separate calendar weeks.
    Someone on a 0.2 contract (one day per week) would take 5 years to complete Induction and would be on M5 in their final Induction school year assuming that they started on M1. Some NQTs start on M2 or M3. MY sister started on M3. I started on the old 9 point P scale in 2001 and was placed on P5 BASED ON RELEVANT PAST EXPERIENCE.

10. The salary scale is based on time served i.e. you go on M2 when your in your second year of teaching, not just because you passed NQT
    Your new school, NQT manager should be able to contact you last schools NQT manager for confirmation.

11. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The GTC used to send the induction certificate to your home address and apparently the TA are also planning to do this this year. That is the official confirmation and employers can check yoyr status online at the DfE website.
    Some LA's send certificates/letters but not all. The Final Assessment report is also a confirmation that you have passed induction. The salary scale progress does not depend on induction and is based upon you working as a teacher in the previous academic year- most payrolls' automatically do this in September.

12. It is up to the LA if they send anything to you directly - they must inform the Teaching Agency (part of the DfE) that you have passed induction and the new school or LA can check with the TA if this is the case. Your pay is unrelated to passing theinduction year. If you have worked for 26 separate weeks in the previous school year then you should automatically move to M2 if you are in a state maintained school. If the new school is an academy then they have more freedom over pay and they do not have to abide by the same rules.
    The Sage