1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finishing my induction year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by cazzielou, Nov 23, 2011.

1. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

When I finished university I managed to bag a full time job in a Primary school and started my NQT year. Due to various reasons I had to leave after 2 terms (mentor said i should finish a week early from 2nd term so that I would still have 2 terms to complete in a new school rather than trying to do it all in 1 term.) So I have completed 1 term of my NQT year.

After leaving I had to take some time out, but then when I got back into teaching I found that jobs were hard to come by having had a 4 term break. I helped out in my nieces Infant school and they got to know me and offered me PPA cover for 2 afternoons a week. This then increased after Easter last year when they started giving me cover during the SATs week and then more supply cover.

This year I have just started working 3 afternoons on M1 doing the PPA coordinator role and also covering most of the teachers for their subject role non contact time. My head teacher asked me about my situation as an NQT and neither of us are entirely sure of what I can and can't do.

I have been told that I can only do 4 terms of supply work until I have to start working towards my NQT (or finishing it). But I am not sure if what I am doing counts as supply work as I am only doing a few afternoons. If I work one day in a particular term does that count as me doing supply for that term or does it accrue over the days that you do?

Also what are the terms of me completing my NQT year? What am I required to do to complete it? Would I be able to complete it with occasional supply or do I have to have a class full/part time?

If the case is that I only have 4 terms of supply it means that I need to find a job in September working towards my NQT otherwise I will not be able to work as a teacher until I do. My head is great and has said that if this is the case she will find a way of employing me to work towards my NQT so I can continue working, even if its just for the 2 terms to do my NQT and then go back to supply, There may be a post coming up at the school for Sept anyway as one of the teachers is there for 1 year from the Juniors.

My headteacher has asked everyone she can think of, the business manager from the Juniors and HR and no one seems to have an answer for her, there seems to be lots of guesses and rumours but no exact rules. Do you have any answers?

2. Hi the answer to your question about whether or not the post youn have counts fopr induction lies with the Localk Authority - they are the body that decide if the post qualifies for induction or not.
    In general - the post you have must be one where you are employed and paid as a teacher - whether it is with a supply agency or not is immaterial, and the post must last for at least a term in length (full time or part time). It must involve you doing the jobs that a mainscale teacher is expected to do (planning, teaching marking assessing etc.) so, it must enable you to meet trhe standards.
    Your 16 month supply limit begins on the first day or supply teaching and ends 16 calendar months later. It does not matter if you do just one day or work every day on daily supply, after 16 months you must apply to the LA for an extension or stop teaching until you have secured an induction post. If your induction post is part time, then on the days when you areb not working in your induction post you can take daily supply, even if you have used up your 16 months allowance.
    My advice would be for the head to contact the LA NQT adviser and for them to discuss the nature of your post and whether the LA will deem this suitable for induction.
    James