1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

finishing fixed term contract - new school - what pay point?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by anitacstrong, Dec 2, 2017.

1. anitacstrong

anitacstrong New commenter

Hi I'm a RQT. I finished my nqt around May and stayed at the school until the end of the year. I've been doing supply since. If I started a new contracted post would I start on M2 or just M1 as I've not worked for the new school before? I don't know how it works. I presume that supply work doesn't count towards length of service in terms of progression through the pays scales?

Thank you for any advice.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There used to be automatic progression on the payscale based on having worked in at least 26 weeks of a school year on the previous official pay grade.
    I went to M6 solely on supply work paid by the LA at official rates.
    The 26 weeks could be holiday weeks if being paid ona contract instead of on daily supply rates. It was not necessary to to work 26 full-time weeks. Just one session of work per week, in 26 separate calendar weeks, was enough for pay progression.

Agency apid supply work did not automatically alow for pay progression when next working for an LA employer but some schools and LA agencies did give credit for private agency paid teaching.

Pay progression could still happen with an incomplete Induction. I did my Induction as two terms in one school, followed by a 5 term period of no work and then a term in another school. I moved up the payscale after the two term position.

A few years ago, the right to automatic pay progression was axed and schools now seem to use budget contraints to keep many staff on the same pay point for years. When taking on a new position, you basically need to negotiate your starting pay. It will be easier to get pay progression if you are offering a shortage subject.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

There is no pay portability so the starting point is whatever the school (or you) can get away with.

So it's down to negotiation, do you know anyone who is in sales or any occupation with negotiated pay? Well worth buying them a few drinks and discussing scenarios with them before the interview.

wanet likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I will give the same advice as I would to anybody who does not know how things work. Download a copy of STPCD and read it. If you go to an LA school, or another that uuses STPCD, you need to be aware of the rules you will be working under. In particular, the rule that allows schools to start people at the bottom of the scale, regardless of where they were before. So, if offered a job, make sure you discuss pay or you may end up getting less than you deserve. Make sure you discuss the actual salary - M1 etc have no official meaning nationally even if they are used by some schools/LAs.

BTW, also read the Burgundy Book.

ScienceGuy, JohnJCazorla and wanet like this.
  5. anitacstrong

anitacstrong New commenter

Thank you for your advice.