1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finishing a unit from last half term?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I was in the last 4 days of my Literacy unit and the children were busy in the writing process, they wrote some fab story openings and then due to end of term unexpected changes and the like, we just never finished... It just seems such a shame when they were so good to drop the unit, but at the same time am thinking 2 weeks have passed, they're year 2, should I cut my losses and move on? Or the other option is to allow them to write the middle / end during guided reading as one of the rotation activities in one week? What do you think?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Naaaa just move on and start the term by starting your new topic with something brilliant and exciting!

What skills will they learn by writing the middle/end that they couldn't learn in their new topic?

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well i'm moving on to the massively inspiring explanation texts...... snore....

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well get them to explain something incredible and exciting then! Nothing wrong with any genre of writing, just the contexts are sometimes dull.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok our topic is 'ourselves' would like to link into that... any thoughts? :)

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not exactly sure what comes into 'ourselves' as I've never taught it. But could they explain the difference between living in England, living in the arctic and living on the moon for example? Or maybe what humans need to stay healthy?

What other things are you teaching in your topic? They can just explain some of those things?

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I suppose it's about the human body... which theoretically you could write a lovely explanation text about... However I have no idea what texts are available in school.... hmmmmmmph.

I could just do it as a stand alone unit but with ofsted coming in, felt it should be cross curricula :-\

8. Could you write an explanation of:

why we need to brush our teeth?

how we digest our food?

why we warm up before PE?

why we need to cover our mouth/nose when we cough/sneeze?

how/why we clean ourselves?

I'd be tempted to let them finish their stories but this is always a difficult call to make. Sometimes it is best to cut your losses. Why not see if any of them ask about it - or even ask them which they'd prefer? Just an idea.

9. how about a magic key / magic school bus type journey into the body ?
    As for finishing the fab stories . . . they have just had two weeks off, will they be as fab as they could have been ? Move on !