1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finished NQT pay rise?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by amygregory, Oct 3, 2017.

1. amygregory

amygregory New commenter

Hi there can some one help.

I finished my NQT year last year successfully and have stayed at the same school.

I’m still paying paid the same rate as I was last year.
    I was under the impression that there was an automatic pay rise after passing NQT?

The payroll lady tells me I need to go through another appraisal in October.

But how can I have a successful appraisal as I haven’t got any performance management targets since passing my NQT.

Can someone point me in the direction of some guidance on this subject.

Thanks

2. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

Usually, passing your NQT is used as your performance management. If you think about it, you have had to prove your competency in many ways during your NQT year so that should be enough for them to move you up the pay scale.

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

There is no guarantee a teacher will move up on the pay scale at the start of a new year. Speak to your line manager or whoever will be doing your PM this year and ask them. The woman who does payroll may not know either your individual situation as a recent NQT or that October is the time for target setting, not reviewing.

4. AHT82

AHT82 New commenter

You should check but in our school it show in your October pay as payroll would be updated in September. So you would get a bit backdated too for September.

5. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

If you've successfully passed your NQT year that should be enough evidence to move you up the scale. Our Governors meet in September to go through the anonymised data presented by the HT who has either recommended or not recommended an increment based on staff performance in the previous academic year. It could be that the Governors have not yet met to approve pay as some are not as on the ball as others. Wait until the end of October and if there isn't an increment then, speak to your HT.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It all depends upon the school pay policy do check it. If progression is based upon meeting targets then the NQT induction is usually evidence of this

7. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

October 31st is performance management deadline, we meet with governors after that to agree the scale move and this is then backdated to September on the December pay. Nice Christmas bonus!

8. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

That timetable isn't quick enough for us. We meet as Governors in the first two weeks of the autumn term providing we've had the pay guidance from the LA. We discuss the anonymised data in respect of the staff appraisals and we pay it from October.