1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finish or Forget Forest School training?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by silvercrayon, Jan 13, 2019.

1. silvercrayon

silvercrayon New commenter

My work paid for me to do Level 3 Forest School training. It was good but the written portfolio is ridiculous! As it turns out I don’t need the qualification to do the things I want to do, a risk assessment would be fine!

Now I have a 2 month deadline on the written work but would rather focus on teaching. I think the qualification will only serve as another ‘badge’ on the bottom of the school letters. What do I do?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sounds like you are committed

3. silvercrayon

silvercrayon New commenter

What happens if I don’t complete the portfolio though? I wish I had of just paid for the training myself

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ask for some time off timetable to complete it.

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

It will look good on your CV. School have paid for it. It's only level 3 - the sort of thing 17 year olds do every day. Just do it.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What @saluki said.

It's only Level 3.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Do it. Keep rubbing those sticks together. Keep making shelters out of twigs. If you need an exit route from the main job in future that could be it. If you quit I guarantee that one day you'll kick yourself.

There was a time in my past when I nearly gave up on an additional qualification in ICT, and my better half persuaded me to stick with it. I'm bloody glad she did, because it meant I would work in a shortage subject for the rest of my career, so I was never short of a job, or of interview opportunities.

8. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

Definitely agree with @magic surf bus, I once struggled through the SENCO qualification whilst learning the job at the same time. I nearly gave up several times. When it came to me needing to get out a few years later it was the thing that made the difference to me gaining consistent employment in a far better situation.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Finish it - you never know when you may need it in future. It could be the only difference between you and another equally strong candidate for a new post - then you could have your dream job in the bag!

Presleygirl and mothergoose2013 like this.
  10. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I’ve done the L3 Forest School, I agree it is a huge volume of work. But it is a level 3 which most people tackle over 12-18 months. Yes it’s worth doing. Technically you don’t need the qualification at all but it gives you the confidence and reassurance, makes the insurers happier and you may want to do more with it at a later date. It’s not cheap either shame not to see it through, ask for an extension if you don’t think you’ll finish in time. It’s in everyone’s interest that you pass.

SundaeTrifle and mothergoose2013 like this.