1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

finish four more aca papers or move into teaching secondary

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by prawncrisps1, Aug 11, 2019.

?

Pursue pgce maths teaching or go back into industry?

1. Teaching!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Industry!

100.0%
  1. prawncrisps1

prawncrisps1 New commenter

Could anyone give me some insight into my career move?

I have been working in London doing audit work and studying for my accountancy exams. Recently failed one paper and have four left to be a chartered accountant.

I currently do not have an employer but do have an opportunity to start my pgce in secondary maths this year.

My question is, should I pursue my pgce or should I go back to industry by trying to find an employer to get qualified as an accountant?

Any views? I have observed in schools and do like it but haven’t actually taught any lessons hence I’m not sure which route to go down. Also one of the teachers I was speaking to is telling me to not join teaching as the pay is very low, to find a city job instead? I was very keen to the idea of teaching at first but speaking to different teachers have swayed me abit!

Also it has been a while since I have worked in industry... afraid I won’t be able to find a firm like before ie before I was a graduate trainee but now I might have to get a lower post as an accounts payable clerk and pay for my own exams etc?

If you’ve read through so much... thank you...

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You applied for a PGCE, and now want to abandon it because of what people have told you?

If you don't want to do it, contact the university and withdraw.

As for city jobs...no idea. But it seems to me the key issue for you is pay. Is that the case?

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

If you are having doubts, then no, a PGCE is not the right thing to do. It is very tough and should not be taken lightly.

It seems to me that salary could be the dealbreaker here so you need to decide whether a significant drop in salary is worth the career change. The ACA exams are tough and require intensive studying but the salary/ultimate goal is attractive.

You need to do what you want to do. Personally I think it is good to have a backup plan incase you don't enjoy teaching. Teaching will be as equally demanding in terms of your input but the pay is not so great.

agathamorse likes this.