1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fingertips software

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NordicNoir, May 12, 2012.

1. Hi I have purchased fingertips for my fs and can't even installthe software! Am v disappointed so far, can't get anyone to help. It had better be good for the money I've spent! Any advice?

2. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

We have been using finger tips all year and have similar issues with the learning diary, It doesn't live up to expectations, but does save time.
    We print our learning diary's out about avery 2 weeks using the date filter so we only print out new obs. Each child has a folder split into 6 areas and we add them to the back so they run in date order. I did try exporting to word but even just to make simple changes took an age and the idea was to save time. Our parents seem to enjoy looking at them and reading what the children have been doing, they aren't interested in the links and stuff. I just wish the photos looked nicer and it didn't waste so mush paper printing out blank pages with just the logo on the top. [​IMG]
    We had to ring Aspect IT and they remotely accessed the lap top to install it, and even then it took them some time, but I have found both Focus and Aspect helpful so give them a ring. Don't let them push you around though.

3. Miss Piggywig

We are also having problems so I was just wondering if you have got yours sorted. Fingertips have been ok but I am on at them everyday. I have now got the name of one of the developers who I contact direct and he is trying to write updates to let me log on. Would love to head if anyone has it working and if its any good.

4. Miss Piggywig

Has anyone else had difficulties or seen the new version working?

5. Hi everyone,
    Am STILL struggling - despite getting on to Focus and Sapere (now providing software support) almost daily, sometimes (no joke) 4 or 5 times a day. Seems to be something to do with having Windows XP.
    HELP!!

6. Miss Piggywig

Hi 2680joanne I have finally got mine working. Ive managed to get it on the phones and this week we have started making observations on them again. Just found out that the learning diary function is a stage 2 one though and the ELG aren't listed. :-(

I got the number for a guy called Peter at Sapere and I rang him loads. He wrote new versions to solve the error problems I was facing after I emailed him the error logs. We are on windows 7 though. I hope you get some answers soon. If you want to pm me I will pass on Peters direct line if you think it will be of help.

7. Hi, thank you Miss Piggywig. I also have Peter's number - he is really helpful & is working really hard on this but still having absolutely no joy. Have sent him loads of error logs. We have Windows XP at school , I think that might be the problem, but I am stuck on this one and really need someone to come and wave a magic wand for me!!
    What do you mean by 'a stage 2 feature?' for the LJs? and why aren't the ELGs listed? is this something we have to pay extra for??
    Thanks in advance. Would be interested to hear of anyone else is struggling, or (although I will be jealous) if it's working for anyone.

8. Miss Piggywig

Hi 2680joanne the stage 2 thing means it is still in development and with ofsted due anytime it is fustrating that we will have nothing to show them except on line. I have since found that the ELG are listed but in their small chunks. I have just received a little a5 booklet which is a paper copy of all the statements so it is easier to see how it all fits together. We are slowly beginning to get use to it, but which they had laid it out in ages like the little fingers software was. I dont really get why the big change when they could have used little fingers just changed the wording to fit the new curriculum. I hope you get a solution soon. Have you any computers on windows 7 that you could try it on? Looking forward to hearing it's all sorted.

9. Thank you, I will keep you posted.

10. Wow - I think I may have finally got it sorted!!! My husband had a look last night and managed to install it on our home computer and my mobile phone. He thought that the problems I was having at work were due to the device drivers. Talking to our tech support guy, he said that the device drivers were ok but agreed that the problem was to do with the communication between the PC and the mobile device. (we have ZTE Skates) so he phoned Peter who told him that it was to do with the settings on the actual device. I needed to go Settings, Application, Development and USB debugging. Did that in about 10 seconds, added my children as a .csv file, synced it and ....it seems to be working! Didn't manage to test it in school today but works fine at home so am really hopeful.
    Am now cross that it took so long, why couldn't someone at Fingertips or Sapere have told me that simple step beforehand? Still....if it's working tomorrow I will be so pleased!

11. Fingertips update - got it working OK and have just heard that the Stage 2 features have been released. Have had a quick look and am disappointed so far - in the Learning Diaries, the photos appear really small and distorted; also it doesn't say how many months the child is at. In my opinion it should give a photo of the child, their name, the strand and the 30-50m / 22-36m or whatever.
    I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinion. I'm going to email Fingertips and let them know what I need - maybe if enough people ask they will change it.
    There are some good changes though eg the spellcheck ability.

12. Well done for getting through Ofsted! Disastrous though that Fingertips has stopped working. I agree, most parents just want to see the photos. I think you'll be disappointed, but let me know.Maybe I am missing something. Emailed Fingertips on Monday and haven;t even had a reply. How rude! Will try again and keep you posted.
    Have a good half term!

13. Miss Piggywig

Well we have finally managed to print out the learning diaries. I have had Jeni in to sort out my phones but they need to write some more patches to add ages and stages to windows phones and put the statements in the right order. I have also asked if they can change the learning diaries to put ages and stages instead of just emerging. Also they are looking into a way of tracking the characteristics oif learning in the observations as well. I guess I should be pleased it's working, if the government don't even know what the final profile will look like it's no wonder focus are making it up as they go along.

14. Hi
    I have also been in contact with Jeni to sort out getting the LD's photos bigger and putting in the statements and the 30-50m or 40-60m or whatever. I also need an overview of where each child is up to eg Joe Bloggs is working at 30-50 in Maths and 40-60 in Reading etc (I am FS leader) so have asked for this too.
    Fair point you made about the Government and Focus - it made me smile!
    Jeni has been helpful about listening to my comments and trying to work with the developers to sort it out.
    Keep in touch!

15. Miss Piggywig

I've finally met another school that are using it and they seem happy with it but are using android phones. I am hoping Jeni manages to get some of these things included and soon. However I can make observations now so that's a start and parents seem to like the learning journeys tonight in parents evening.

16. Hello I am pleased I am reading all this as we got Fingertips and Little Fingers about 2 and a half years ago and we love it and was told at the time once we have the soft wear it was ours and we did not have to pay anymore and general updates were free. We are a very small village school and now we have been told we have to pay £120 a year this is so out of order because either we pay the money or we don’t use it. I would love to see what everyone else thinks of this issue.

17. Miss Piggywig

We had the same thing. I have asked why the change and was just told the fee is a yearly fee for holding data. I was told we could continue to use the old software without the fee but there was no way of getting around the fee. My head is not best pleased but after spending over £3000 on it all we can't afford not to carry on. He s aware now it will have to worked into the budget :0(

18. Hi.
    I have been in touch with Clare, the Managing Director from Focus, who has said that over Xmas they will be making the photos bigger and also putting in the age banding that the child is working on, plus the statements, so I am hopeful that this will mean the product is going to be useable soon.
    Let me know how you are all getting on with it!

19. I've posted before about this - accused of selling! not so! We use look@me you can find it searching for 'learninglogic' Never had any problems, they are very helpful & quick. I like the assessment button after the photo & comment - the new EYFS was loaded immediately & is very straighforward. There are tabs so you can see a tally, & each child also has a page to keep notes, next steps etc. I like sitting with the parents & talking it through then putting the next steps on together. The parents post comments whenever they want & it's flagged when they do. Why are you printing out? At the end of the year the parents can PDF, & if they can't they get a CDrom. They can print out at home if they want to. The only time I print is to add a photo for the Voice of the Child working wall or to add to a display. It's 3rd year using now & I still really like it.

20. I forgot - it's also got a tab for each child (on their own pages) with the Characteristics on. It's easy to get the whole child as you check individually on the laptop, & add in any info