1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fine Semolina - ideas?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bizent, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

So C went off to Tesco on his own on Saturday morning and returned with a 1.5kg bag of fine semolina of which I needed 150g.

Any ideas of what I can do with it? Seems to be quite popular in cakes!

2. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Yes, it makes good cake! I also use it, mixed with a little flour, to coat things like escalopes; makes them nice and crunchy. Sprinkle it on roasties, um, oh yes, mixed with cheese on top of cauli cheese, lasagne - that sort of thing and you can always make polenta :)

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Agree with everything Cosmos has said and it makes a really good cheats Southern Fried chicken - mix some semolina with a little finely grated Parmesan, any chopped herbs you want (if you want them), Cajun seasoning and Cayenne pepper then dip some thinly sliced strips of chicken breast in the mixture and fry in a spoonful of oil until cooked through.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Also good mixed with herbs and spices, then toss in squid rings and fry. Yum.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Really good in pizza dough.

6. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Can you use it for semolina gnocchi with a tomato sauce? I think there's a Prue Leith recipe that is delicious!

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Use it in shortbread to make the biscuits crunchier. Season it with herbs and spices and use it to "breadcrumb" fish or chicken/ pork.