1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fine motor skills

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by FionnDuff, Oct 14, 2019.

1. FionnDuff

FionnDuff New commenter

I'm new to early years and just wondering when fine motor skills such as using tweezers, scissors, threading etc should be started in nursery school. I joined a nursery class in April and the assistant told me they always wait until third term to develop these skills. If I introduce threading and tweezer activities now is it too early? Or are there any guidelines on how and when to introduce this?
    Thanks.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

There's not really any guidelines on when it should be introduced. It's when it is appropriate for the children. Always waiting till a certain time can actually hinder the development of those children who are further on in their development. It can be likened to giving simple 2+2 to someone who can do long multiplication.
    If actually encourage it early on because it is by practising those skills that strengthens the muscles which help children use those tools.

Gsr25 and FionnDuff like this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Children are developing fine motor skills from a very young age. There's no reason to not support this. Have a look at the development matters and you'll see examples in 30-50. Third term of nursery is way too late ,some of those children will already be 4. A range of fine motor resources should be available for free play as part of continuous provision.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If by 'nursery class' you mean children who are 3-4 years old, then definitely have such things out and available now.
    Many of mine are starting to hold pencils properly and want to write letter like symbols, they are certainly more than keen and ready for scissors, tweezers, etc.

Gsr25 and FionnDuff like this.