1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding your first teaching post September 2017

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by welshwizard, Sep 26, 2017.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

For the past few years John in Luton and I have alternated to bring you a missive about job seeking following your Initial Teacher Training. This year as John has departed this website it falls to me...

Its never too early to begin to focus upon the ultimate aim of ITT- to get into paid employment and complete the induction year. Many universities begin to hold their NQT or Teacher Recruitment Fairs this term. To date I am aware of Cambridge on 17/10 and St Mary's Twickenham on 17/11 as well as Uni. East London on 18/12. Hertfordshire also usually hold a fair in early December. There are good opportunities to find out who is recruiting and also the processes involved. many universities also offer seminars and lectures on job finding, interview skills etc.- Do check with your tutors to see what is on offer!

There are fewer central or " pooled" recruitment activities in Local Authorities than in previous years and normally confined to primary phase teachers. Where there are pool recruitment processes then these can save you multiple applications to schools in the same area.
    Some Multi Academy Trusts also have a centralised application processes.

The majority of individual vacancies (if advertised) will appear from Spring Term 2018, check the TES, Guardian websites but also don't neglect looking on school or local area websites as many posts are now being displayed there in preference to National sites. It is usually the hard to fill vacancies that appear first Science, Maths for secondary upper KS2 for primary. I have seen these advertised from late February in the past.
    Most appointments are made in early summer term once the schools have a clear view about pupil numbers and which staff are leaving this year. The May resignation date is a key factor in this timescale.

Many NQTs will get posts in school directly from their ITT experience -either School Direct or Degree/ PGCE. Do be careful about accepting the first opportunity that does crop up. You need to think clearly about what you are looking for in a post, whether the school offers a good opportunity, particularly the practicalities of location and travel and whether it will suit YOU.
    -
    The job situation in teaching is very localised particularly for primary teachers -and you need to find out what your local job market is like. Traditionally in some areas such as South West and North East there have been fewer opportunities -particularly in primary -compared with London and the South East.

The DfE were promising an easier application process for teachers but there is no detail about this yet. I will add to this posting throughout this term should there be any update.
    Good job hunting!

Schifoan likes this.