1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding your first teaching post September 2017

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by welshwizard, Sep 26, 2017.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

For the past few years John in Luton and I have alternated to bring you a missive about job seeking following your Initial Teacher Training. This year as John has departed this website it falls to me...

Its never too early to begin to focus upon the ultimate aim of ITT- to get into paid employment and complete the induction year. Many universities begin to hold their NQT or Teacher Recruitment Fairs this term. To date I am aware of Cambridge on 17/10 and St Mary's Twickenham on 17/11 as well as Uni. East London on 18/12. Hertfordshire also usually hold a fair in early December. There are good opportunities to find out who is recruiting and also the processes involved. many universities also offer seminars and lectures on job finding, interview skills etc.- Do check with your tutors to see what is on offer!

There are fewer central or " pooled" recruitment activities in Local Authorities than in previous years and normally confined to primary phase teachers. Where there are pool recruitment processes then these can save you multiple applications to schools in the same area.
    Some Multi Academy Trusts also have a centralised application processes.

The majority of individual vacancies (if advertised) will appear from Spring Term 2018, check the TES, Guardian websites but also don't neglect looking on school or local area websites as many posts are now being displayed there in preference to National sites. It is usually the hard to fill vacancies that appear first Science, Maths for secondary upper KS2 for primary. I have seen these advertised from late February in the past.
    Most appointments are made in early summer term once the schools have a clear view about pupil numbers and which staff are leaving this year. The May resignation date is a key factor in this timescale.

Many NQTs will get posts in school directly from their ITT experience -either School Direct or Degree/ PGCE. Do be careful about accepting the first opportunity that does crop up. You need to think clearly about what you are looking for in a post, whether the school offers a good opportunity, particularly the practicalities of location and travel and whether it will suit YOU.
    -
    The job situation in teaching is very localised particularly for primary teachers -and you need to find out what your local job market is like. Traditionally in some areas such as South West and North East there have been fewer opportunities -particularly in primary -compared with London and the South East.

The DfE were promising an easier application process for teachers but there is no detail about this yet. I will add to this posting throughout this term should there be any update.
    Good job hunting!

Schifoan likes this.
  2. iainmuzza

iainmuzza New commenter

Hi welshwizard, I'm currently doing my SCITT training here in Lancaster. It's encouraging what you said about many NQT positions being filled directly from their ITT experience. Will take heed of your advice through!

3. welshwizard

Hi Ian,
    Yes being in a school can give you a good insight and many schools look to direct recruitment these days.
    Even though you are " on the spot" for opportunities that crop up do approach any vacancies with the same impetus as an "outside" candidate - many an opportunity has been lost by candidates thinking it is just a shoe in.
    A lot will depend upon turnover these days particularly if the school is not expanding. This means some schools are not going to know whether they will have vacancies until the current staff have tendered resignations - the key date for this is the end of May.
    Good luck with your job search

4. welshwizard

February Update.

This is the start of the recruitment round this year- secondary schools are advertising hard to fill vacancies and primary schools are beginning to post as well. Do look out for pool applications run by some LA's ( mainly in London and South) and also some MATs have centralised applications- these can be time savers with one application form to complete.
    Do be rigorous and professional in your application remember first impressions do count.
    Good hunting!

5. welshwizard

Easter update!

At this stage you begin to see the early jobs advertised its often the shortage subjects like Geography and Physics but many other secondary subjects are increasingly being advertised earlier. Schools who are savvy will have the adverts live over Easter - otherwise expect a flurry of them at the start of the summer term.
    For primary some central recruitment activities in LA's and academy chains have already started but the busy period will be from next term up until the May bank holiday when the resignations from existing staff are due.
    Good hunting!

6. amazing06

amazing06 New commenter

Hi All,

Kindly advice on what to take along for an interview. Portfolio?? What should be included in a porfolio? Are there any example teacher's CV I can look at?
    Thanks and Regards

7. Manhas

Manhas New commenter

Hi

I am currently going into my third placement and concerned about not finding a job in time. I will complete my personal statement this week as the previous week I have been busy finishing off work and my last essay.

My concern is if I do not get a full-time job to complete my NQT, supply teaching will take longer for me to do my NQT; is true by 5 years you need to pass your NQT?

I am confident I will get it done before 5 years, however, thinking worst case scenario I have read if you fail your NQT that you cannot retake resulting in not able to teach. Does that mean your QTS from the PGCE has no value?

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Assuming you are in the UK - my experience would suggest a portfolio is a waste of effort. Some candidates have brought them to interview with us but we've not looked at them in detail nor used them as selection material. Others may disagree.
    You won't need a CV as virtually all employers use application forms. You'll need to tailor some of your details to the requirements of the specific job.
    And I'm afraid that several employers might already be minded not to employ you if you fail to get advice/advise right: advice is the noun, advise the verb. Little things can easily tip the balance, so really careful proof reading is important.

amazing06 likes this.
  9. welshwizard

Don't burden yourself down with a portfolio think about what you need to use to help exemplify your answers. A couple of good pictures of pupils work beats a sheaf of paperwork any day.
    Many schools do not use CV's often they have their own forms to complete but a cv is standard. The perfect CV has always been a useful booklet and there are plenty others out there . Getting your first teaching post is also on prospects.ac.uk

amazing06 likes this.
  10. welshwizard

To assure you there is no actual time limit on completing induction. There is only a 5 year limit on the amount of daily supply work ( non induction) you can do. 5 years from the date of QTS.
    The majority of schools will make appointments in summer term up until early June and some may even have vacancies beyond then depending what phase you are and which part of the country you are in.
    Good hunting!

11. amazing06

amazing06 New commenter

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to ask that the lesson observations, that we are having now during our ITT, they are for myself and my ITT provider to grade me for QTS. Apart from that, are they used anywhere else? does anybody specifically asks for them like the school you go in for an interview at??same with reflections??

Thanks and Regards

12. welshwizard

Hi
    The observations are also used by your ITT tutors to also inform their references at this time of the year. There will also be a final statement or report when you finish your programme to identify your strengths and areas for development as you then enter induction. Generally I have not known anyone ask for specific lesson observations to aid appointments they are anyway a point in time and as you identified used as a feedback to you about how you are progressing. Your reflections on your lessons and your course are what interviewers would ask questions about during the interview- again not as a written document but part of the overall discussion. I have found the more reflective the trainee the better the quality of the interview.
    Good luck!

amazing06 likes this.
  13. something_more_original

something_more_original New commenter

Hi Welshwizard

I'm starting my Physics PGCE in September. By this time next year, should I have already found a position? I'm not sure whether it's best to wait for the adverts after the end of May or not.

Is it just the case that if the perfect job comes up in Feb-April then apply, but if not, wait it out?

14. amazing06

amazing06 New commenter

Hi
    No success yet........... who do you think is the best person to get your personal statement checked??? i don't have anyone who can do this without being judgemental/recognising me.
    Thanks

15. welshwizard

It is important to get the right school for you and with Physics you should have a good choice so waiting is probably best-many get jobs from their placements anyway

16. welshwizard

if you have access to a careers service then try them other wise you are welcome to personal message me

17. amazing06

amazing06 New commenter

Hi welshwizard

I am on cause of concern and agreed to go with the action plan. But my mentor is very weird and not supportive at all. She wants me to agree to everything she says and i am very sure she is going to fail me on the last day. I have a very low ability class and it has become a competition between her and me that who bags how many successes within the lessons. I have pretty much decided to deferr and think about doing this placement next year. My university tutors are supportive but more on her side. Please advice. Thanks

18. welshwizard

What normally happens with an unsatisfactory placement is that you arrange a further placement in the following term. Universities vary in the amount of active support they provide to help arrange this. You also need to look into the financial aspects -as your student loan may need to be extended if further tuition fees are charged. Focus on the action plan and make sure you evidence your progress. There should be a formal review with the university before the end of term and you should consult with your student representative or union for further support..