1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding work is getting very expensive!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by George1164, Apr 19, 2012.

1. An agency based in Tottenham Court Road got in touch, asking me whether I would be interested in work as an exam invigilator. This pays not much more than minimum wage, and since it is often only for a couple of hours a day, generally it is not worth it, if any travelling costs are incurred. Nevertheless, the school was within cycling distance, so I thought I would give it a try. So much for the good news; now the bad. The school insists on all invigilators having a new CRB check, taken out through them, which will cost £48. On top of that, attendance at a one day invigilators' course is compulsory, cost £55. So, I would be £103 down before I started.
    Something similar applies when trying to get work as a CA, even through agencies. Even though I have QTS, I would have to enroll for some NVQ 3 thing, the course costing over £300. I don't know whether another CRB would be needed to register for his course, but i would not be surprised. [​IMG]

This is just getting daft, and a bl**dy rip-off!

2. An agency based in Tottenham Court Road got in touch, asking me whether I would be interested in work as an exam invigilator. This pays not much more than minimum wage, and since it is often only for a couple of hours a day, generally it is not worth it, if any travelling costs are incurred. Nevertheless, the school was within cycling distance, so I thought I would give it a try. So much for the good news; now the bad. The school insists on all invigilators having a new CRB check, taken out through them, which will cost £48. On top of that, attendance at a one day invigilators' course is compulsory, cost £55. So, I would be £103 down before I started.
    Something similar applies when trying to get work as a CA, even through agencies. Even though I have QTS, I would have to enroll for some NVQ 3 thing, the course costing over £300. I don't know whether another CRB would be needed to register for his course, but i would not be surprised. [​IMG]

This is just getting daft, and a bl**dy rip-off!

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I was an exam invigilator once. **** pay and very boring!!! i used my own CRB and used common sense to do the job. Why do you need to go on a course for that? Why does a school use an agency at all if they don't trust their security checks?
    I doubt that they will get anyone to do the job and end up asking the lunchtime supervisors if they fancy a bit of extra cash.

4. A I am a cussed sort of chap with time on his hands and a bit of a bee in his bonnet about rip-off 'pay-to-work' schemes, I costed out this invigilation job. The pay is £7 per hour; a morning session is counted as 2 1/2 hours and an afternoon as 2, so for a whole day would be 4 1/2 hours = £31:50 gross, an estimated £23:60 net. So, for all 17 days, the maximum would be £400 Although it is within cycling distance, the school is still over 12 miles away accross a couple of tube zones, so the rush hour fare would be £4:60 or £9:20 per day, so £156:40 for the 17 days. Potential net income £400 - £156:40 = £244. Taking off £48 for CRB and £55 for the 'compulsory course', gives a total of £141 for 17 days work, £8:30 per day!
    Of course, some of these days will only be for morning or afternoon sessions only, which would allow one journey to be made off peak, but this is hardly compensated by the loss of the other hours. For example; a morning session would be £13:12 - £7 for travel = £6:12, while an afternoon session would be £10:50 - £7 = £3:50.
    I sent these costings to the agency involved, so i will be interested in hearing there reply, if any.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

My local university expects all staff - new and returning - to do a training course annually prior to invigilating. Procedures change.
    However they pay invigilators to attend the course and also pay for ant CRB checks necessary.

6. You're a dab hand at Maths!! Another case of the big print giveth and the small print taketh away..
    Saw these jobs advertised ast the jobcentre but did not apply as worked out that it would be hardly worth my while on JSA when you can keep the first fiver earned but anything else is deducted from the JSA. Why, I would be working for nowt!