1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding the right reason

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pinkmarshmallow2, Dec 9, 2015.

1. pinkmarshmallow2

pinkmarshmallow2 New commenter

I am currently looking at a new post, possibly outside of teaching. How do I explain my 'decision' last year to step down from HoD in a successful school to now being a mainstream teacher? The 'seeking new challenge' expression would be accurately interpreted as l did resign from my old post before I was made to leave. Last year I used 'personal reasons' more time with the family etc which worked as I was stepping down, but if I am now looking for something more demanding then it doesn't make sense.

Any ideas would be gratefully received....

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are right - that's how people interpret that often, I'm afraid, so best to avoid it.

I shouldn't worry too much about this. It's just a tiny box on the application form, you don't have to write about it in your application letter or statement.

And if the new job is outside teaching, even less worry! You could just write something very bland and meaningless new career direction. If they even read it, I doubt they'll give it much thought.

Best wishes