1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding the mean year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Nov 8, 2015.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

I'm planning on teaching this for a lesson obs where I will give the children the mean and children work out what the numbers could of been. however i would like to link it to our current topic Antarctica and just wondered if anyone could help and think of a scenario.

2. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Mean temperature? Average ice depth in different places? Average number of penguins seen?

When I read the title I thought this was going to be a post about tracking down a naughty child.....

3. lightningconductor

lightningconductor New commenter

(Before I offer an idea, I feel obliged to point out that you should have written, "...what the numbers could have been." While more likely to be 'typos', you should also have used a capital I for the personal pronoun and started the word However with a capital H.)
    How about suggesting the mean number of members of two expeditions that attempted to reach the South Pole and asking them to suggest the size of each of those expeditions? You could add conditions such that the two expeditions were of similar size, then add a further expedition and ask them to revise the possible expedition sizes, and so on. Similarly, you could use the number of dogs they used to pull their sledges. Penguins spring to mind too!
    It sounds like a good idea that is a little different and more investigative than the straightforward job of finding the mean of a given set of numbers. I hope it goes well.

4. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Thank you. I was thinking of penguin nests and number of eggs maybe. I like the idea of expeditions and maybe HA cold work with a decimal mean.

5. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Chill out. Try to be supportive. People are usually tired when writing posts.
    I understand that some people like correct grammar and punctuation in posts and texts but it's not the end of the world. Try to think how a person might be feeling.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I could find several mean Year 6s for you, quite easily.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think penguins only lay one or two eggs. Those children who have seen March of the Penguins will know that emperor penguins lay only one and do not have nests, but other species do nest.

I'm generally not one for correcting spelling and typos, but I'm sympathetic to pointing out "could of"; it's not a typo, and even if it's an old habit a teacher only falls into when tired, it's best to point it out before they put it in tomorrow's Powerpoint!

School Boy Error likes this.
  8. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I have to say I would have pointed out the of instead of have in case the poster had put this on a slide or something that they intended to use in their lesson.

To the OP be careful about extending children with "harder numbers" this goes against the intentions of the new curriculum. You could extend this by asking the children if their answer is the only one. Can they find all the possibilities? How will they know that they have?

9. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Fair enough.
    We all know that sometimes what we write on posts comes across as quite harsh and if we were talking face to face we would, hopefully, try to be more delicate.
    We always warn children about this but sometimes when I read some of the replies on this site I despair.