1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Students

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by benpthompson, Nov 19, 2018.

1. benpthompson

benpthompson New commenter

Hi there!

I've decided to escape the madness and move into the world of private science tuition and I'm sure this question has been asked a couple of times before but more information on the subject would certainly still be of interest to many on here.

So I'm just wondering what experienced tutors think are the essentials for acquiring your first students when starting a private tuition business? (I am a science teacher for ages 11-18 but advice from tutoring any other subject would still be valuable)

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. SteffenCarter

SteffenCarter New commenter

I would recommend to register with tutoring agencies, they will help you to gain a lot of students. You can also find students online through social media. There are also many online tutoring platform where you can register you self as a tutor, fill out the required details and students will them self contact you.

3. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I would recommend registering with tutoring websites which charge the tutee commission for your details but are free to the tutor.

There are already several threads on here offering advice, have a browse through them.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Sometimes parents will ask the school if they can recommend a tutor, so it's probably worth letting local science departments know that you're in the business - particularly if you know any of the teachers so they can vouch for your competence.

5. eventhorizon

eventhorizon New commenter

Most tutoring agencies take a percentage of your pay however I have used the first tutor website for years and find I get more pupils than I can manage from it. The client pays a fee to be given your contact details after contacting you through the website and checking availability etc first. There is absolutely no cost to the tutor at all. Clients are also encouraged to leave feedback which then encourages other clients to choose you. I have never had any vacancies for long with this website and its the only form of advertising I use. You can also suspend your account when you are full so you don't get swamped by pupils.