1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding right school - recommendations in London?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Otter2010, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Otter2010

Otter2010 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently looking for a new role, but as a reasonably experienced teacher (about 6 years since PGCE) I want to find my next role in a school that is right for me. My greatest desire (and I know I am not alone here) is for a school that looks beyond flight paths and outcomes (for both students and teachers) and recognises, at least to some extent, that education is not solely about exam grades, nor is teaching about drilling students for the maximum amount of time you can squeeze into a day/ week/ year. I am neither so idealistic that I do not believe we should pull out all the stops to help students get the best grades they can, nor so jaded that I believe all schools have become exam factories, but I would like to find a school with a more holistic approach to learning.

If anyone has any experience or recommendations of such a school, I would be very gtareful for your advice.

2. Otter2010

Otter2010 New commenter

I should have said, I teach secondary.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

You should teach in an international school. Having left the UK in 1998, I have been teaching in Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE, Qatar and now China. I would definitely recommend teaching in an international school, as it is so much better than teaching in the UK. Every week, I get TES "Conversations" from fed up teachers in the UK who want to find out about teaching overseas.

JL48 likes this.
  4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What is a 'flight path'?

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Especially ones into RAF bases!

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Otter2010

Otter2010 New commenter

A "flight path" is the route of expected progress from Year 7 to 11 or 13. It is a straight line, you will be shocked to hear!
    Thank you, hippo, for your suggestion. I have considered teaching abroad, but am even more flummoxed as to how to know which schools are going to suit me than in the UK! Do you have any advice on this one (beyond the obvious googled research)?

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'd go independent :)

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So would I...but
    1. I'm biased
    2. They do tend to care about academic outcomes
    3. They can be under really noisy flight paths :p
    4. They vary massively, so might be perfect for the OP or might be hell on earth for them
    5. I'm still biased and so I still would go independent ;)

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you are interested in teaching overseas, then you can send me one of those TES Conversation things.