1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Resources difficulty.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by catmother, Mar 19, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,I much prefered as it was before. As others have said,it's pretty hard to find anything.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I find I can only locate the stuff I know to be on resources by googling it with TES added to the search parameters.

As you say, I find it hard to locate resources that I have uploaded myself.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

If you get the email from tes the latest one has a survey about mfl resources - I've just answered it (answer = rant) in very much detail and feel better for it! [​IMG]

4. When you search for things, it now automatically suggests the topic area which that sort of resource would be in.
    Eg. I search for "Krankheit" and it suggestions something like "illness and healthy living" in the KS3/German area. If the person who uploaded a resource about illnesses in German (before the categories were introduced) and did not categorise it, it isn't available under that topic area.
    SOLUTION:
    When you search for a resource by keywork and it takes you to those annoying categories, look at the top left of the page for 2 options.
    One option is "topic" or something to that effect, and the 2nd is "search results" or "keyword" results... click that option and it displays it just how it used to.
    I hope this helps.

5. The two options are "subjects and topics" and "Keyword matches". Choose the latter.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's keyword matches that seem to cause me the biggest problem. e g yesterday I forgot to take my Comic Relief worksheets & was searching quickly at school. Put in tile of sheet (which I know is Primary & all that comes up is a list of potential Secondary resources. Put in Comic Relief & 'No matches'.
    Frustration, especially as I was just about to teach the class!

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

frog, thank you so much, this will help hugely!

8. Lara mfl 05

Unfortunatley not! Just tried your suggestion & under Keyword matches it says (0). Clicking on it produces 'No matches found' for a resource which I've used in the past, know the title for & the author!
    Even clicking on the subsection 'Whole school/ supply' still doesn't list the resource I want.

9. funambule

funambule New commenter

Contact Gail Robinson@ TES
    I worked with TES on trialling the "new" site a while back and they should be open to constructive changes!
    Gail often posts on Primary; suggest you contact her on there though I would hope she will pick this up anyway!
    Gail, are you still there?
    [​IMG]

10. Lara mfl 05

Already posted on Primary hoping someone would pick it up there. I've read so many posts recently about this problem which prompted me to start a new thread.

11. What's the resource called? What's it about? Who is the author?

12. Lara mfl 05

Yes but the problem is IT'S MY OWN RESOURCE! I can in fact get straight there via my own profile, but for others?
    My point is 'Surely there ought to be a better way of locating resources than to do it via a GOOGLE Search Engine?

13. Lara mfl 05

Thanks for all your efforts frognsausage, but my point is how to find resources generally using TES search engine & not the roundabout way most of us are havin gto do it. (I was hoping Gial or someone might pick up on it & change it if others were having difficulty too, which many of us on the MFL forum are- we'ra all doing the search via Google!

14. I'm not having any particular difficulties finding resources since I've found the "keyword matches" option. It was, however, more luck than skill that I discovered it. Maybe the buttons should be bigger?

I agree. For a lot of resources it's the formatting/pictures that take the time and not the language

15. Hi There - You can edit your resource, but admittedly the link isn't so obvious.
    Login to the site and go to the resources area. Use the link in the top right hand side saying "My Resources" (or use this link https://www.tes.co.uk/MyResources.aspx)
    Next to each resource that you've uploaded you'll see small blue text in parentheses saying (edit, delete). Click on the edit text and you can alter and add classifications to your resource.

16. Yes, this was a difficult one. When we introduced the ranking mechanism we didn't want to lose the old reviews & we introduced a rule that said if you leave a reveiw then you had to also rate the resource. So we averaged the existing reviews to 3 stars - not an ideal solution, but it does keep the review text which in many ways is more meaningful.

17. The "General" debate is a tricky one and seems to be specifically useful in the MFL area. In my top post I mentioned that we've been aware of issues around MFL resources for a while. We'll have a look at the general category idea - it might be more suitable here than other areas - especially as we don't have a dedicated MFL category now, just the individual languages.
    The corollory to that argument is that "general" becomes a dumping ground - a sort of lazy category. But - with this kind of cross language resource it sounds miore applicable.
    Thanks for all the replies so far. More thoughts welcomed...

18. Hi: frognsausage: just to say thanks for this input. We'll make the "keyword matches" link much more obvious!
    Will