1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding quality teachers at this late stage

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bcfcbex, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hello,

I am the head of the English department in a bilingual school near Valencia. My second in department has emailed me her resignation today, stating that she wants to leave the teaching profession. This has not only left me without the support of a colleague but also left me only weeks to find a suitable replacement.
    My problem is this; how will I find a high quality teacher to move to Spain on such short notice? Our new term starts in less than a month and most people have already got jobs. My school is reluctant to spend money advertising the post at this late stage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Hello,

I am the head of the English department in a bilingual school near Valencia. My second in department has emailed me her resignation today, stating that she wants to leave the teaching profession. This has not only left me without the support of a colleague but also left me only weeks to find a suitable replacement.
    My problem is this; how will I find a high quality teacher to move to Spain on such short notice? Our new term starts in less than a month and most people have already got jobs. My school is reluctant to spend money advertising the post at this late stage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

3. I rather doubt that a 'quality' (however it is you're defining that) will want to go to a school that is too penny-pinching to advertise the post.

4. If you don't want to pay for advertising, you can always advertise for free on craigslist. But I think you will have to spend time posting your ad in numerous craigslist cities in various English speaking countries to have any good response. And you will undoubtedly receive many replies from people who have no teaching experience at all. If you want to do it on the cheap, you will have to be willing to spend a lot more time on it. To have the best response, be sure to give as much information about the position as you can such as pay, benefits, expectations, living and working conditions, etc. Good luck. I hope things work out well.

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

You could have a start date as 'asap'. That way you might not get someone for the start of term but as soon as you can after. The post could be filled as soon as you find the right person but without a proper closing date. Just an idea.

6. Why, do they think an English teacher will appear by magic?

7. Thank you for all the positive responses and advice. With regards to the comments about advertising. I probably misphrased that statement. We advertised for another position that we had available a few weeks ago, and I found that best applicants got snapped up very quickly. I am sure that the school will advertise if necessary but I felt that at this late stage most good teachers will already have a position. Of course I could be wrong, if anyone knows of any fantastic teachers still looking for a job then please point them in my direction!

8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Unless your school is a total joke it will have a website. If it's not already got a vacancies page then set one up. There are plenty of people, like myself, who visit school websites regularly. This is especially true at this time of the year since, given enough schools, there's likely to be someone who's not coming back for some reason.

As for quality, as long as you mean someone who can teach well, rather than pandering to any peculiar idiosyncrasies, you should find there are plenty of English teachers up to the job.

9. Thanks David, that's a great idea. In terms of quality I mean someone who is properly qualified (PGCE, B Ed or equivalent).

10. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

To be honest this is exactly the situation is which I usually get my postings. I'm an excellent and experienced teacher (KS2) who can come to a school at the drop of a hat in an emergency situation and have references to prove I've done it successfully many times throughout my 15 years in teh profession. I'd say many schools regularly find themselves in this position.
    Unfortunately, my expertise is not in the area in which you are seeking help, but I'd suggest not all good quality staff are unavailable to you and circumstances can lead to staff not being in a post at this time of year. I use the obvious agencies and assume you should also contact them immediately for support.
    Good luck

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think that with the scarcity of teaching jobs in the UK there will still be plenty of very good applicants who would love to apply. Maybe they left it too late to look (alot of PGCE students tend to), or just got pipped at the post for another job. I'm still looking for posts and I'd like to think I'm a good teacher... (although not English I'm afraid) x

12. Work twice as hard and ask for a pay rise. You must turn it to your advantage. Its the Heads problem not a Head of Departments concerns.

13. Hello bcfcbex

I wondered if you have had any luck finding an English teacher? If not perhaps you could send me your email address?

14. I am PGCE qualified with 11 years of experience and available for a September start.