1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Prior Research for PGCE Project

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Juliet6079, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to put in my proposal for my first PGCE project, and so I need to have a rough idea of some of the literature already out there covering my topic.

My background isn't in education, so I'm not 100% sure of which journals are credible or where to start searching for information. I'm doing the usual google, google scholar, Jstor, and will search the university online library once I have access to it. (I'm doing SCITT and only have remote library access)

Is there anywhere else I could be looking, perhaps education journals etc?

For context, I'm going to be looking at raising attainment in writing in KS2.

Thank you!

2. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

I used the university online library. Check the References/Bibliography of a recent paper in the field you wish to research. The search and download them and then check References/Bibliography of these papers. Important papers are often quoted and these are the ones you might want to start with

3. PintPlease

PintPlease New commenter

second the uni library being your best source. There is other stuff floating around the internet but it can be easy to waste a considerable amount of time searching for a particular paper to find only the abstract is available without paying. One thing i did find very useful for my PGCE assignments was downloading 'Mendeley' - a free referencing manager. It made keeping track of notes on papers and references very simple. There is a plug-in for word which allows you to directly reference papers and automatically keeps the bibliography up to date.