1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding out new year group

Discussion in 'Primary' started by just_keep_swimming, May 25, 2012.

1. Am I missing something here? If you are in a primary school then surely you can expect to be placed anywhere across the school? If there are certain year groups you 'hate' then you need to ask yourself if you're in the right phase of teaching. Also, in today's climate, I can't believe you'd just look to jump schools to avoid a year group when the same thing could happen there. What would you do, keep shipping out until you got guarantees about the year group you wanted? For the record I am the head of a large primary and I told my staff they were staying put in February because we have inspection in the Autumn but I have also told them I will be making changes, in consultation with them, at the end of the next academic year and I will tell them as soon as I have finalised the budget and other organisational matters which will probably be early May and no later. It's not good for the children either to have their teacher with one eye on next year before this one is over.

2. A year group you hated or a class of children? Yes there is a difference. I wouldn't like to go down past Y4 but thats because I want to get my teeth into meaty topics in literacy, not because of the children.
    I know some people are commenting here because its the class of children they don't want rather than the age of them. That is very sad!
    We are all qualified to teach in any age group if someone is new to a school who is more qualified, or has a better track record in the year group you are in surely it is better for the children to have that teacher and move the existing staff around. It is about what is best for the children!
    There are some arguments that staff have to buy/make new resources.. so what? I have to buy/make new resources every year no matter if I am in the same year group or not.

3. Previous head would let us all know which class/year we'd be in by accidentally telling a TA, who would inform everyone of where they were going to be... wonderful management style.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Rubbish. Yes, we can be put in any year group, but that doesn't mean we should. I am a better Y6 teacher than I would be a Y1 teacher. There are people in KS1 who would hate to teach Y6 and know they wouldn't do as well. Why not use the strengths on your staff?

5. How often does this happen Milgod? Are you telling me that you can only teach Y6, you would not do as good a job in Y5 or Y4 - thats normally the biggest change - 2 years either way, except in extenuating circumstances. For instance your head may feel you accelerate learning and they want that acceleration to occur 12 months earlier so they would put you in Y5 - why would that be so much of a problem?
    There are not many schools where someone is placed in KS1 from KS2 without consultation - also have to remember some members of staff who are moving in big steps like that are often consulted before final drafts are written up so they know well in advance before rest of staff know.

6. Milgod

You're quite good at assuming I've said more than I actually have. I never said I couldn't teach anything other than Y6, but I am a better Y6 teacher than Y1.

I think you need to take some thinking time before you post.

7. I don't think I do - I assumed that you thought that Y6 teachers were being forced into Y1 or vice versa otherwise your point would have been useless.
    What was your argument if you didn't think this. I am sure all staff and even head teachers would understand that such a big jump was undesirable.
    I am slighlty astounded that you can start your post with 'Rubbish!' when talking about someone elses opinion but as soon as someone tackles yours, you become very defensive about what you asaid and what you didn't see even though there are clear implications in what you said.

8. Milgod

I wasn't defensive about my opinion, just that you put words in my mouth.

If you ever bother to actually read what I was responding to then you might see the point I was making. Another poster said that if there are year groups you hate then maybe you were in the wrong job. I thought that was rubbish. They implied that you should be able to do whatever you are told. I made the point that teaching skills should be taken in to account. Good Heads will, as you say, take account of their teachers' strengths.

If you were ever to 'tackle' my opinion I would be glad. However, you usually just like to make my opinion up for me.

9. You said that it was rubbish! She said 'if you hate them' you said if you prefer one or think you have better skills - not the same argument at all. Yet your first response was the word 'Rubbish' This is what annoyed me.

10. Milgod

I said the idea that you are in the wrong job if you hate certain years was rubbish. I stick by that. We're not all robots who just churn out lessons, some of us have opinions on what we like and don't like. Doesn't make us poor teachers.

11. Some teachers in our school already know and some are waiting to be told. Whenever! As for me I retire at the end of term so I don't give a hoot. Yippeee

12. And to quote you in the next post, don't 'assume' I don't know that my staff have strengths in different year groups. I was merely making the point that it is nonsense to threaten to jump schools just because you don't get what you want. It's also good CPD to change year groups and also personal attitudes to different year groups. Glad you're not making my staffing decisions, nobody would ever move with that mentality.

13. Milgod

I didn't assume anything. I think you assumed that I assumed. I had a problem with your comment about people being in the wrong job.

14. Fab sounds like a great person to work for. I was told today

15. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Jealous!!!! That'll be me in another 120 terms!!!!

16. That's awful wizzi! We still don't know as they wait until the final resignation letters go in on Friday. We have not known until the last week of term before now.

17. All of our LSA's had 1:1 meetings with the head to find out where they were going next year, but teachers didn't. I found out through my LSA that where I was going and which support I had (meaning I found out which child I am having again). Today (over a week after LSA meetings), I was given a list of children I will be having. No meeting like the LSA's. Surely its a matter of courtesy that we should have been given the same treatment as the LSA's?

18. Have found this thread fascinating to see what different schools do and when they tell people.
    I know where I am next year - some people seem to have been told and others haven't. When a moaning colleague moaned that I had been told and they hadn't, I merely replied 'well I asked' - I don't think it is any big secret and once the decisions have been made.
    I also find it fascinating that people think they have a right to know before the deadline for resignations in case people aren't happy - I only qualified a few years ago but I was under the impression that if I was employed by a school then theoretically I could be placed anywhere and for good CPD people should be moved periodically. But maybe that's just me. I don't understand why people get in such a stew. Some years you have a brilliant class and other years you have a difficult class.... that's the way it goes I guess.

19. Milgod

I found out today I'm going to be in Y4 next year after four years in Y6.
    Pretty excited at the chance to work in a new year group. I will miss Y6 though, loved teaching them (SATs and all).
    I won't be having my ace TA, but have lucked out and got another really good one anyway.

20. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Love Year 4! Hope it goes well. I love that they are more mature but not stroppy yet! I would also like to add that if Primary Teachers loved teaching every year group, this thread wouldn't exist, as none of us would care what year group we are moving to.

Pretty sure I'm staying where I am, which I'm happy about.