1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding out new year group

Discussion in 'Primary' started by just_keep_swimming, May 25, 2012.

1. Nope! Lots of heads won't set in stone which teachers will be in which year groups until AFTER the resignation date as things can change right up to the 31st May.

2. We don't get told until middle of June at the earliest. The record is the last day of term !!!!. Very long story but not very nice to know last minute.

3. sounds like Irish Lou is going to resign if she doesnt get the class she wants!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We won't know until after half term just so people can't resign in a strop. also because many of us are still applying and being interviewed and the head could have all sorts of vacancies next year.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We were told months ago

6. My Head told me two months ago.

7. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I got told last week.
    I am moving from early years to key stage 2 - yipeeeeeeeeee! [​IMG]

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We will not know until after half term, I think they have a fair idea and I know it has been discussed but they are waiting until the resignation deadline has passed and they have recruited all they wish to recruit. I am terrible at waiting though - I need to know!

9. We got told this week. My head is very good at making anyone who is going to be moved feel as if it's because we have done a bad job in the year we are in at present.[​IMG]

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We don't find out until after half-term. HT says it's so they can advertise and then see where the strengths of the new teachers lie, because we have a couple of teachers leaving. Personally, I don't see why they can't just advertise for someone for the particular key stage where the vacancies are. *sigh*

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have a choice this year, KS1 or Y6. Hmm..... Am aware that I am delaying the other teachers knowing where they will be. Only got the choice yesterday though.

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Have done both before and I'm going for Y6! I love the littlies but enjoy the company of Y6. It's swings and roundabouts; pro's and con's for both.

13. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I've gone from one headteacher who would tell you as late as was possible about where you would be in September (and always told in a 'ta-da' manner like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat)....
    To a headteacher who wants everyone to be happy and who has already told us what yeargroup we are having next year and even which class I am going to get out of the 2 possible choices.

14. We were told in February, which was ridiculously early and has made lots of us begin to move on far to early, although it is much better than being told too late!

15. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

We got told a couple of weeks ago. It's great because I stayed where I wanted to!

16. scook11

scook11 New commenter

I've been told I'm not being moved. I've asked for 2 years.

It's ok, because I like this year group and I like the people I'm working with, but I've done this group for 6 years, and just want a change!

Ah well. There's always next year.....

17. Have been told too. Same as you from reception to ks2 as I requested. Yippee. Can't wait to go back up. Never again in early years.

18. It's the same at my school too, we're all just waiting!!

19. My head always told us after parents' evening which was in final weeks of year so that we could not be pressurised by pushy parents (so she said). She would always ask us our preferences and then make up own mind usually bearing in mind our wishes as to year group and who we would have in the team (3/4 form entry primary). The entire staff list would be rapidly read out as fait a compli at a staff meeting just before she bid a hasty retreat! This said I was there for 22 years before I retired and was not the longest serving member of staff so she must have got some things right! The comment about parents was valid as some would try hard to ensure their precious darling was with the "right" group of children and the teacher they felt was best. It was a frustrating uneccessary rush especially if changing classrooms was involved but we all managed to find coping strategies - developed team spirit.