1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Observations/Work Experience

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ichbinmatt, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ichbinmatt

ichbinmatt New commenter

So before I apply for a PGCE, to see if teaching is for me I want to find some kind of observation work within a school but i'm finding it like getting blood out of a stone. Ive had two replies out of loads and they either said there was safety issues or too busy.

Any advice/anyone know anywhere in the Manchester area where they have previously been?

Thanks!

2. Do you know anyone who works in a school who could get you some experience? I contacted loads of schools for observation and only one replied positively, so you just have to keep plugging away at it! Maybe try volunteering with a youth group e.g. cubs/scouts to get some experience working with kids? Good luck!

3. I think everyone is struggling with this..... Anyone any idea of why schools dont want extra help for a week?

4. If possible I'd suggest the school you attended would be a good place to approach.
    As for why they don't want extra 'help' for a week, realistically you're going to be of no help. It requires extra planning (they want to make sure it's worthwhile for you, no point in having you observe a silent test) and they won't know what their own timetables are for next year just yet, let alone what they will be doing in a lesson.
    There's some options here for visiting schools if you're really struggling, though it may be subject and age dependent:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/career-exploration.aspx
    If you're currently at a University, the careers advice service will normally tip you off on which schools are generally accommodating for observation.

5. Oh and OP, I'd say you should be phoning them rather than writing, all too easy to ignore an email/letter when they expect you to be contacting many schools. Often it's just a case of the school receiving the letter and not knowing who to approach with it, so they ignore it. Phone up and they'll find the person you need to talk to.

6. I originally contacted my old schools to see if they would let me observe for a couple of weeks. Have you tried that yet?

7. ichbinmatt

ichbinmatt New commenter

Hey everyone,

So I sent an e-mail to all the schools in my area, my old school and some independent schools near me that said they offer sessions for people considering teaching. I will call some of the schools that don't reply to me in a week or two.

I have however received one reply but it was from a Primary school I e-mailed by mistake. I'm considering applying for Secondary Education (Business) so should I just politley decline or should I just go for the experience?

Thanks!

Matt

8. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Some (most?) secondary PGCE's like you to have primary experience. In fact, some require you to do a week or more in a primary school before, or at the start of, the course. Couldn't hurt, might help by exposing you to a range of Key Stages.