1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding it hard to be positive.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by captain oats, Dec 15, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I know it's been a long term and everyone is feeling knackered but even before now I am finding it harder and harder to be positive when I'm teaching.

This is my 5th year and after a few years of particularly challenging classes I feel myself becoming a very irritable person!

I have thought this for a few weeks now but it's been this week that really brought it home. My class are tricky and there are a few challenging pupils, but there are also some very lovely ones! I was having a bad day on Tuesday, there had been a falling out at break time between some boys that I was trying to deal with when they had come back to the classroom. Lovely girl comes over to me to ask a question, but I completely snapped at her and told her to go away.

I felt awful at the time and I could see she was upset. She understandably told her Mum when she got home who then got in contact with the head.

Head called me in to her office yesterday to discuss this with me and I explained from my point of view, I apologied to the child and her mum for what had happened. Everything is fine now.

But this incident got me thinking that I don't want to become this person who snaps at children and make them terrified and upset! (They are Year 5 btw) but I as I said earlier I am finding it hard to be a positive teacher who isn't getting annoyed all the time! I obviously want to be strict with the children, but how do I find a balance and become a nice person again??

2. ONly a few days to go till Xmas - have a lovely 2 weeks off to chill and then things shoudl be back to normal. This is a long term and we all become irritable at this time of year.

3. I have no advice, but I'm having the same problem myself. I just seem to get so tired and run down that I have no enthusiasm in the classroom any more.

4. Me too. Just need to get through tomorrow and then start afresh in January. Most teachers seem fraught at the moment, so don't dwell on it too much!

5. I just try to be realistic, not every single tiny problem needs to be dealt with in detail, issues on yard etc need to be left on yard as you could spend all day correcting students and sorting out fights etc. I try to just only make a big deal out of things that are a big deal and save the rest of my energy for classroom enthusiasm!!!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have done that on occasion, generally at the end of terms. If you know the child is upset then it is a good idea to apologise as soon as you can, ideally before she goes home.

I'm a right grump, and have been for the last few weeks. Lots of apologies in Christmas cards to my nicer colleagues.

7. That child's mother is an absolute tit for approaching the Head to complain about you. Oh, boohoo, you told her to go away. I'm not saying it's exemplary practice but it's not like you told her that her dreams will amount to nothing and that her dad's not really her dad. Sheesh, more challenging than any child are the parents without any life outside of said child...
    Yeah, I'm a ***, too, at the moment. My dream school's turned out to be a awful. My temporary contract's not being made permanent at the end of the year but I don't want to stay anyway. I have felt so ill I'm always on the edge of tears every day for the past three weeks and I went past 'knackered' about a month ago. f*** it. I just want to get the HELL out of there for two weeks - I'm even considering not going to the staff do, despite having paid £30, and instead spending the FIRST NIGHT OF THE HOLIDAYS in bed with Ben&Jerry's and 'Tool Academy'.
    I'm hoping this incredibly negative and bitter attitude is just extreme tiredness talking and that everything will seem better in January. Hopefully your snappiness is your manifestation of the same thing. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!

8. Lots of sympathy to you all....
    But do remember you get very run down and worked up at the end of the term, especially THIS one, when you spend all of your non-working time in the dark! It is and stressful!
    I always felt I suffered from SAD, I felt it coming on from end October, and this year I have got a lightbox to work at the PC by, and fell so much better ... but then, I am no longer teaching ,which may also have summat to do with it!!!

Have a good rest, and you will be fine to start again in Jan. You are good people - remember that!!!

9. Take a deep breath...

As teachers we tend to look at our faults and not our strengths, we remember our failures and not our many successes.

Take time to review your year, think of the activities that went really well and celebrate those, think of the children for whom YOU have been a lifeline and have got them through difficult times or taught them something that made their eyes widen.

Accept your imperfection as a teacher, hard I know, but you can do it! As someone above mentioned, be realistic about your expectations of yourself and those around you and realise that certain times of the year do make thing easier or harder. Report writing, Christmas madness, parents events - all times we question our reason for becoming teachers. Sports days, camps, reading stories to the kids outdoors in the sun, getting all the pressies at Crimbo - all great times when we're glad we've chosen a profession with 13 weeks holiday (I know...) a year!

More importantly, make sure you are visiting your "wells" outside of school, intellectual, creative, physical, emotional, spiritual - are you visiting them all or is your head down and you've not looked up for a while? Visit your wells and it will be like a breath of fresh air.

You're always giving - you need to replenish your stores - like the story of the glass cupboard!

All the best and enjoy the hols.

10. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Thank you so so much for all your replies, they really have helped.

I am planning on doing very little over the next 2 weeks and will hopefully go back in January a more positive and motivated person. :)