1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding everything difficult

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by princessblods, Nov 10, 2015.

1. princessblods

princessblods New commenter

Im on my final placement. I have 5 and a half weeks left before I get my QTS. But the whole way through my training, Ive found teaching to be quite a struggle.

I dont want to give too much away incase someone I know sees this.

I have voiced my concerns with my tutor in uni and the teachers in my department are being very good with me. they say I plan well but the biggest problem I have is keeping the lesson interesting and keeping the pupils on task. also behavior management and low level disturbances,like the pupils talking over me when I'm trying to explain things to them etc. Im really trying hard to get everything right but it seems that no matter how much I try, or how many behaviour management techniques I try, nothing works. Im in school at 8am every day, dont leave till 5.30-6 and then am up till 11-12 everynight trying to keep on top of lesson plans/evaluations/resources/CPD file etc etc. Its never ending, and for all the work Im putting in and then to not get very good grades, Its very disheartening. I dont think I want to be a teacher any more. My anxiety levels have shot up, am back on medication, and have a constant tightness/pain in my chest because of the stress and anxiety im feeling about placement.

2. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Hello. Many people, including myself, have experienced what you are going through. The PGCE year is relentless. However, you CAN do it. Take one day at a time. Firstly, look after yourself. Switch off for a little while each day. I found that having a nice cup of tea, hot bath, or going for a short walk outside gave me some space and peace away from school. Secondly, concentrate on one thing you want to do at a time e.g. when you are talking, everyone else needs to be listening. If they don't, stop until they are listening. Keep doing it until they get the message. Small steps. Thirdly, know that what you are going through is temporary. One day you will look back and be pleased that you got through it. If you don't want to continue teaching afterwards, you don't have to. But, if you have gotten this far you can get across the finish line. Best wishes.

fleur46 and Sillow like this.
  3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Many teachers have been there, myself included. Training is TOUGH. But don't panic. Choose one thing to focus on for the rest of this week, e.g. not talking while children are talking. Spend every lesson you teach waiting for silence and stopping everyone time someone talks, giving warnings or whatever the behaviour policy is. Follow the policy to the letter, let the pupils know you mean business. When you feel that's improving, pick a different thing to focus on. Just remember you are not supposed to be a perfect teacher at the end, just show that you can get through the NQT year, (which is far less stressful than training, I think). Lots of this term (if you're in primary) will be taken up with Christmas things which will mean fewer structured lessons and more rehearsals, which should take some of the pressure off lesson planning and evaluating. Just keep going. Good luck. [Edit: sorry, Indusant, I didn't read your reply fully and have repeated some of your good advice by mistake!]

4. Suewan

Suewan New commenter

At least they are passing you. I'm resigned for the reasons you listed.