1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Engineering Competitions (16yo -19yo)

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by zmmartin, Apr 17, 2019.

1. zmmartin

zmmartin New commenter

Hi

I'm trying to find a competition (preferably national) for my A-level engineering group to take part in. The only one that I feel is appropriate is the Talent 2030 but it is restricted to girls only and I really want something where everyone can get involved. STEM competition associations seem to be outdated. I've not really found anything that is 1) current for 2019 or 2020, and 2) appropriate for the age group entering.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm sorry I can't give any suggestions but merely to say that the lack of competitions reflects the sad decline in A-level DT and engineering subjects. Electronics went at my school when the teacher retired. Electonics! You'd have thought there would have been some future in that! The A-level DT went and instead they brought in BTEC which involved so much paperwork there was little extra-curricula time for teams to work up a project for a competition.

I'm afraid the squeeze on school budgets, the decline of less popular subjects due to staff costs and the focus on e-back subjects even at A-level has done much to destroy the opportunities for students to display their expertise and creativity through the dearth of the competitions you seek.

Good luck in your quest but it is a creative desert out there these days.

zmmartin likes this.
  3. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

The only competition I we entered in the last 5 or so years of my career was one organised by the local naval dockyard, building remote control ships. No others floated my boat (sorry!!), and our kids just laughed when I mentioned them

Unfortunately of the 8 schools that agreed, only 3 saw the competition through due to other pressures put on them.

I did always find it slightly of concern that so many of the STEM based competitions were for girls only, and at my last place the (female) head of STEM used to take the same 6 girls every time. Yes, great to encourage them into engineering, but what about the boys, or was it just expected that they would enter STEM based industries without any encouragement?

zmmartin likes this.
  4. zmmartin

zmmartin New commenter

I was afraid that was the general consensus. Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

Maybe with a bit of nudging, a STEM event may be able to be organised. If i find anything, i will post it here.