1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a teacher for homeschooling abroad

Discussion in 'Independent' started by dawntodusk, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Dear Theogiff,

I hope you could give us some advice. We have two sons and we will be moving from The Netherlands to live in the Maasai Mara Game Reserve in Kenya where we have a Safari business. We have therefore decided to homeschool our two boys, Louis aged 9 years old and Stanislas aged 5 years old who are currently following the IB Curriculum. We are looking to find someone who would be willing to come and live with us for a period of one year to homeschool our children. How should we go about finding a suitable candidate? Many thanks in advance for your advice and with kind regards,

2. I recently applied to Tutors International and received a rather abrupt email back which I have pasted below along with the grammatical mistakes:
    I just wanted to let you know that I have reviewed your application for the DUB 1209 position and do not feel that you have the requisite skills for position.

Furthermore, I do not think that present sufficient all round skills to be competitive for any of the position we advertise and I will not be contacting you further.

I am a HOD in my fifth year of teaching and in my opinion I have more than sufficient all round skills!!!
    I am not one to judge the professionalism of this company, however the email response does nothing to boost ones confidence.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Go to a<u> reputable</u> agency (for example Gabbitas) http://www.gabbitas.co.uk/ This will cost you, so check out with them beforehand what they will charge you.
    Or first try putting an advert in the TES for what you want. If you go it alone in this way, you will need to be quite clear about what your requirements are and how you will assess the candidate.
    If you are near - or even parents of - the British School in the Netherlands you could also pass the word around the junior school there . . . you might well find an adventurous member of stff who would like a change!
    Best wishes - it sounds as though your family has an exciting year ahead.
    PS for future reference: best to put the "Dear Theo" outside the thread, in your title, as I don't always have time to open every thread on the off-chance that it is addressed to me inside.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would definitely go with TheoGriff on this one.