1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Finding a placement for an iPGCE course

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Arsenalfc, May 16, 2020.

  1. Arsenalfc

    Arsenalfc New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    My husband is a US citizen looking to complete an iPGCE course so we can teach abroad. Currently he working as an administrator to help support our family. I am wondering if anyone knows of an iPGCE course where the university will arrange the placement for the students.

    We are Bristol based, but hoping that iPGCE courses are distance courses.


  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    If you are in the uk just now why not go for a PGCE. I thought iPGCEs were for those already working abroad with some experience. There are part time and online PGCEs but I'm not sure about the placements as I have no experience of this just what I've googled.
    His qualifications will need to be assessed by NARIC https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
  3. Arsenalfc

    Arsenalfc New commenter

    Thanks Wotton for your response. Unfortunately he is not able to undertake a PGCE as we need the income from his salary to help support our children (even with the

    As the Ipgce seems to have a lighter workload and is more flexible as it can have online modules we thought it would be more manageable.
  4. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    I think the reason it has a lighter workload is because most people taking it already have school teaching experience.
    there is someone on here who is very knowledgeable of training and PGCEs can't think of the name a t the moment but will post when I remember.
  5. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    It may be mr media.
    @MrMedia, can you help with the query at all.
    Arsenalfc likes this.
  6. Arsenalfc

    Arsenalfc New commenter

    Thanks so much!
  7. MrMedia

    MrMedia Star commenter

    The university won’t organise the placement as the costs are not accounted for and the units not set up for it. Everything is heavily regulated. The bursaries are up to £26k net so your husband must have an exceptionally high salary. However, he will then earn a much lower amount as a teacher.
    The answer is possibly to do the PGCE part time and to earn for half the week whilst studying for half the week. However, I concur with the earlier poster. Complete a full PGCE - all the long term positive outcomes provide a heady counter to the earning of money for a short temporary period.
  8. Arsenalfc

    Arsenalfc New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    Thanks for all your advice. We are looking to go abroad in Aug 2021 so my husband does not need QTS. After a bit of research, I have found out that my husband is not eligible for a bursary as he is American so the PGCE route would cost us £9500 plus loss of earnings. Unfortunately, not possible as we have a family to support.

    So, I am hoping to find an iPGCE course that requires a placement assessment in the latter part of the academic year so my husband can work full time, study and then give up his job to do the placement. This is my current thinking....

Share This Page