1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a new position - help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fluffywhitecloud, Jan 5, 2012.

1. fluffywhitecloud

fluffywhitecloud New commenter

Hi there,
    I am currently unhappy at my school and looking for a new position - although I have not made anyone aware of this situation. I work in an LA where it is customary to request references prior to interview. I am wondering what etiquette/procesdures I should follow with my current position. Should I make it known I am looking for a new position? Should I keep it quiet until I am offered an interview? Also, I am full time employed - when is the earliest I could leave?
    Thanks in advance!

2. fluffywhitecloud

fluffywhitecloud New commenter

Hi there,
    I am currently unhappy at my school and looking for a new position - although I have not made anyone aware of this situation. I work in an LA where it is customary to request references prior to interview. I am wondering what etiquette/procesdures I should follow with my current position. Should I make it known I am looking for a new position? Should I keep it quiet until I am offered an interview? Also, I am full time employed - when is the earliest I could leave?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

NO!
    As is usual in your own LA, references will need to be acquired before interview and you wouldn't want to antagonise your Head (potentilally spoiling your reference in the process) by letting them find out you're thinking of leaving when they're contacted for a reference.
    When a suitable post is advertised that's the time to mention it to your line manager/ Head / HoY/ HoD etc. <u>Don't</u> say you're unhappy. Say something like you value your experience you've acquired at the school and want to move on for xxxxxx reason. (Add your own <u>postive</u> reason, as it will sound more genuine, if couched in your own words.)
    Resignation dates in teaching in state schools are fixed end of Feb. (so 29th this leap year) to leave at Easter, May 31st to leave at end of Summer, but don't hand your resignation in until you have got your new post.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have always told my HT when I have applied for a post, not just when I see one I like. Maybe I'm just a bit laid back about it all, but often see one and then change my mind about applying. No point worrying the poor things unnecessarily. I generally tell them the day after I send the form. There is no reason for anyone else to know.

Mind you, it has never come as a great surprise to my HTs. They have always known I'm ready to move on.