1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a new position - help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fluffywhitecloud, Jan 5, 2012.

1. fluffywhitecloud

fluffywhitecloud New commenter

Hi there,
    I am currently unhappy at my school and looking for a new position - although I have not made anyone aware of this situation. I work in an LA where it is customary to request references prior to interview. I am wondering what etiquette/procesdures I should follow with my current position. Should I make it known I am looking for a new position? Should I keep it quiet until I am offered an interview? Also, I am full time employed - when is the earliest I could leave?
    Thanks in advance!

2. fluffywhitecloud

Hi there,
    I am currently unhappy at my school and looking for a new position - although I have not made anyone aware of this situation. I work in an LA where it is customary to request references prior to interview. I am wondering what etiquette/procesdures I should follow with my current position. Should I make it known I am looking for a new position? Should I keep it quiet until I am offered an interview? Also, I am full time employed - when is the earliest I could leave?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I would request that if you are to be shortlisted they contact you before taking up references so that you can inform your head, that way you don't need to inform them until you are in with a reasonable chance of a new job. I believe the dates for resignation are end of Feb for a post Easter start, end of Easter term for a Sept start and end of October for a Jan start but I may be wrong and I am sure others will offer the correct information if I am wrong.

4. fluffywhitecloud

One of the positions I am looking at is an after half term start - is there any way I can get out by then? I am desperate.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Your early release would have to be requested: the next leaving date is Easter.

In answer to your first query: if you are going to apply for a post you should inform your HT as a matter of courtesy.