1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a new job after WRS

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CEJeacock1990, Mar 27, 2019.

1. CEJeacock1990

CEJeacock1990 New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently off with WRS and just had an occupational health visit. The main suggestion that seemed to come out of the meeting was trying to get out of my current job, before the end of the year.

Context:
    I trained and have worked, for years, as EYFS but have been put, in a new school, in lower KS2.
    I thought I was doing quite well at the beginning of the year but after a few months was very abruptly told this was not the case.

I am now applying for EYFS jobs only. I have called my union and they don’t seem to think leaving early (if possible) will be a problem for future employers.

Has anyone had any similar experience in finding a new post after having WRS or leaving a post before seeing out the year??

pepper5 likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've done both at various points in my career and neither have ever been an issue.
    Get applying and say you want to return to your first love of EYFS.
    I wouldn't mention the time off or WRS unless asked directly.

3. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

100% with @caterpillartobutterfly on this. Just crack on with the applications. Have also done similar without issue.
    Good luck xx

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

It’s totally acceptable to leave at Xmas or Easter or summer. Those are the three leaving dates. Going from eyfs if that’s all you’ve known to ks2 is quite a leap. It really depends on what your background knowledge is and if it’s for you. I always found moving down the year groups easier than moving up. I’ve moved up and down a lot and usually set the bar quite high when I move down but when I move up it takes a while to remember how much children do and challenge them appropriately. Eyfs is amazing and I can see why you would want to go back. Just remember it can be quite tricky applying for jobs whilst off sick. You have to get your heads permission. You could aim to leave at Easter and then go for interviews then. Or you could register now with an agency and take on a long term supply role after Easter. There’s lots you can do and don’t worry about this holding you back, it won’t at all.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I am gobsmacked that OH made a suggestion that you leave your job.

Fit for work/not fit for work/reasonable adjustments needed but leave?

Am I getting this right in that they suggested it rather than you?

pepper5 and Mermaid7 like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When I was off a few years back, the person I met at OH said the same thing to me. As did my GP. And my union. And my better half.

If work is making you ill, especially if it is the treatment from senior staff, then there isn't an awful lot OH can suggest as reasonable adjustments.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You don't need to see out the year! Absolutely not.

Your heart lies in EYFS? Go for it. Tell the current school you're looking around. That will put the brakes on them trying to kick you out.

Yeah, they should be supporting you but they don't sound a great place to work and you don't sound as if your heart is really in it. Get them off your back by telling them you're on your way, secure a post. Quit.

And tell the new school that you're definitely an EYFS person above all. Be passionate about EYFS. Don't say your KS2 career hit a glitch.

agathamorse and skellig1182 like this.
  8. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Good luck to the OP. I resigned at Christmas without a job to go to. Am now looking for supply work and applying for anything relevant.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

Do not worry. It is perfectly possible to find another job. In a couple of years it'll be consigned to the past.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. CEJeacock1990

CEJeacock1990 New commenter

Thanks everyone.

I’ve made the decision to go as soon as I can. Whether that is somehow seeing
    out the year or with an agreed exit strategy. I am doing well in finding new posts and will keep you updated.

I am more than happy to do supply in the interim. This is such a supportive thread. Thank you.

On a side note, I am currently waiting on a back to work meeting to be scheduled. Is this their responsibility or mine???