1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a job in rural school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachelmariascott, Jan 4, 2018.

1. rachelmariascott

rachelmariascott New commenter

Hi
    I am new to teaching and need some help. I read about primary teacher shortages in rural locations in the media. I would like to live fairly remotely, and I am able to move anywhere in the country. Is there anywhere specific that advertises rural teaching jobs? I know TES lists jobs but my PGCE instructors told me that many schools don't advertise here due to costs.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Check on the city council websites.

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Be aware that living in a rural area is more expensive. You will need transport because there is no public transport. There will be a lot of competition for jobs in good schools. There are also areas of deprivation and social problems in rural areas and there are some poor schools. I have taught in market towns and been surprised about the 'hidden' side of posh, middle-class areas.

4. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

For some schools in rural areas, there will be little competition for jobs because many teachers don't want to live somewhere remote. This doesn't mean the schools are not great to work in though and if you're happy to live somewhere remote then these schools might be just right for you.

For jobs in Scotland, use https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/search?cat=2085&sub_cat=2528
    It's usual to get job specifications from the website (rather than through specific councils) and use the website to apply too.

To teach in Scotland, you'll need to be registered with the GTCS. It's quite a straightforward process but you'll have to complete your PGCE before you can apply to register.
    http://www.gtcs.org.uk/

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not necessarily. Living in cities like Oxford and Cambridge is prohibitive, moving out to nearby villages makes it affordable.

Choose some rural counties where you feel like living and look on the LA website for teaching vacancies.

I've always lived in small villages and have only taught in town schools twice and one city school. I'd always choose rural over town/city just because that's the life I know and understand. It's fab and I love it!

6. rachelmariascott

rachelmariascott New commenter

Thanks so much that is really helpful! Scotland would be wonderful - absolutely what I am looking for. Does the GTCS mean I wouldn't be able to apply until the summer, or could I apply for jobs that advertise in the March/June peaks (but start Sept) with the assumption that I can get listed with GTCS in the summer before the post starts? Waiting to job hunt til July for starts in Sept sounds nervewracking!
    Thank you!

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Scottish schools start in August. Remember they have a different curriculum to England and you will still have to complete an NQT year.
    I hope you really do like rural!

rachelmariascott and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

In Scotland, teachers can resign at any point of the year giving a month's notice.
    http://www.eis.org.uk/Pay_and_Conditions_of_Service/NoticePeriods.htm
    This means that there isn't a specific cut off date for resignation each term like there is in England. Job adverts therefore crop up all year round.

You can apply for jobs without GTCS registration but you will be expected to make sure that you do qualify for it and you will have to be registered before you start your new job. Years ago, I did this and replied to an advert put out in January. I was interviewed in February but didn't start my new job till August. They had wanted someone to start ASAP and I could have started after Easter but the authority I was moving to respected that I wanted to see my Year 6 class through their SATS and my new school was willing to get a supply teacher to cover the summer term so that I could do that. It was inconvenient for them at the time but I think the interviewers liked my commitment to my job and the fact I wasn't happy to leave my old school in the lurch, which would have happened if I'd resigned the day before the cut off date. It's worked out well for the Scottish school because I been here for over 10 years and am still happy in my role.

rachelmariascott likes this.