1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a job for September 2011 - when, where and how!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by John_in_Luton, Sep 3, 2010.

1. OK, thanks. I'll have to find out a bit nearer the time if I can get the day off to go.

2. merryhappy

merryhappy New commenter

Any information about Sheffield/South Yorkshire/Yorkshire? I'm at Sheffield Hallam and all the tutors have been extremely helpful so far; just wondered if the experts had anything extra to add?
    Really helpful thread by the way, thank you.

3. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

It's in half term, which should help.

4. John_in_Luton

Sheffield Hallam held a fair a couple of years ago which tried to be all things to all men, and failed miserably as far as teaching is concerned. They didn't even try last year.
    Not a great area to be job hunting, I'm afraid, especially if you're primary. You're in an area where there are few jobs and lots of people after them.
    Nearest fair is probably York St John, if you want to catch up with some of us recruiters face to face. A number of the London and eastern region reps go to that one, even though it's the same day as Roehampton, and last year they also had several recruiters from places like Rotherham and Doncaster, who don't tend to attend the more far-flung (for them) ones.

5. Well, I don't actually start my first placement until January (apart from a week-long induction in November) so I'd miss a day at uni, but I'm sure I could just catch up on the notes etc.

6. Hi John,
    When you say the Wednesday of October half term when exactly do you mean? I am a GTP working in an academy and we have 2 weeks break in October.....
    Thanks

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The October half term is the week starting 25th October but the dates can vary around the country

8. John_in_Luton

Plymouth fair is the 27th. UEA 25th, Canterbury 26th, Plymouth, Greenwich and Chester all 27th, ARU (Chelmsford) 28th. Chichester are usually in that week too, but I've not heard a date for them; I'd guess the Tuesday.
    If you're on the GTP in an academy, what are the employment prospects like in your own setting? You might not need to bother going to any fairs...

9. Hi, i am very much looking for a teaching jonb in suffolk after my PGCE. My PGCE is based in Leicester, will i still be able to get into the suffolk 'pool'.

Also, where is the recruitment fairs for suffolk and when??

Thank you.

10. John_in_Luton

Your best bet is to go on to the Suffolk website and track down my counterpart there, and drop him an email.

11. Hi!
    I'm hoping you might be able to give me a bit of advice. I'm due to start a Secondary History PGCE very soon, and am extremely worried about the job situation at the end it. I keep reading stories regarding the number of unemployed teachers and the 'demise of history in schools'. This is a big career change for so am starting to have serious concerns about whether this is something I can, financially viably do. I know every situation is different but realistically what are the chances of getting a job at the end of it? Is a lot of what i've read just 'scaremongering' or is it actually a very real idea of what to expect as a History NQT. I will be looking to work in the South East (ideally London) although i won't be doing the PGCE in that area. I know the obvious answer is if I want to do this enough I will eventually get a job even if i have to supply etc for a while, but unfortunately it is not as black and white as that. I cannot afford to not be working next September and because of money/financially supply teaching is not an option, especially as there is so little funding available for the History PGCE.
    I would really appreciate your expert opinion on this.

12. welshwizard

Hi History,
    The subject has been in overall decline no denying that with Integrated Humanities and the lower number of GCSE enties. However there are still opportunities in schools where History continues as a popular subject and particularly if you can offer Gov or Politics with it as an A/AS subject. You need to research your local area or where you plan to work to identify the schools where History is still strong. You can also put in an email alert on this site for History posts being advertised.
    A lot really does depend upon what parts of the country you are considering

13. John_in_Luton

I'd endorse the opinion of M'Learned Friend, and add that it's worth checking where there are local providers offering history courses, and avoid the immediate vicinity! I mentioned at the top of this thread that we struggle for geography whereas 50 miles away in Cambridge, they won't; the same applies for history, for which I usually have two or three posts a year across the town and have to work my socks off to assemble a field of candidates for the schools to interview. So if you're thinking London (and, by the by, we're only 10 miles north of the M25 and the fast train will get you to St Pancras in just over 20 minutes), in central London you'd be competing with the output of places like the Institute - don't King's do history as well, WW? - although there should be enough jobs to go round.
    But also note the mention of integrated humanities; I'm starting to see schools asking me to find them someone who can do 50% history and 50% geography, for example. So have another humanities subject up your sleeve (Geog, RE, citizenship, PSHE) that you can offer at KS3 if needs be.

14. welshwizard

Only 2 providers left in London for History Sic Gloria. Institute and St Mary's. Interestingly there were 5 openings for Historians in my neck of the woods this year the largest number for a few years but still leaving many more chasing the elusive post. Echo what is said about combined subjects particularly offering ologies or PSE.

15. Thanks for the responses, it's reassuring to hear that there are jobs out there. You both mention about offering another subject, I'd be more than happy to teach another subject as well, but I'm assuming I'll need to actually be able to prove I am capable of this. If my PGCE is just in History how do I go about doing this? Luton is certainly somewhere I'd consider so I expect you'll be hearing me from in the future! My university doesn't have a teaching careers fair, but there are a few nearby, do you think it will be worth my while trying to go to one? Or if I am looking to teach in a different geographical location is it not so relevant?

16. Brilliant thread, thanks for all this information... Just a quick question though:
    I've seen above a mention that UWE isn't the best for this sort of thing. Just my luck. I'm there doing Secondary Design Technology, and I think I'd like to stay in the area after I finish, although home is Peterborough, so there's always moving back home if all else fails! Where would I be looking to find details of jobs either locally or further away?
    Thanks muchly :)

17. Unfortunately for me they are looking to make teacher redundant next year - not employing. But I can always hope that they might change their minds.....

Thanks for the date. Might see you there.

18. Hi
    I have just started a GTP in Dance and will be looking for a job from next sept.
    You mention that universities hold recruitment fairs but i am not linked with a university for my GTP.
    Where would be best to start looking for jobs, i am looking to work in the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire area??
    Thanks
    Cheryl

19. welshwizard

Teachers end up teaching all sorts of subjects once you are in a school. Depending upon demand of course. Generally if you have some knowledge from Degree, A or As levels this can help. Other qualifications can also be utilised -I taught some PE on the back of Rugby coaching. There are then other subjects where you get roped into- PSE and ICT are classics where you get to teach them to fill a space on your timetable.
    Re; looking for jobs check out your LA website they all end .gov.uk or access via direct.gov. In addition the TES First Appointments guide in early January and the Union guides will have details of LA recruitment pools.

20. John_in_Luton

Not much to add to the wise words of M'Learned Friend, except that for secondary most schools will advertise in the TES, and some local authorities (but not Beds, and I'm not sure if Herts will be able to this year) do email alerts for jobs in their secondary schools. So go on the LA websites to see what they offer.